Chapter 34

A WindClan warrior launched at Smokestorm after she refused to move aside for them. Two more went for Spiderclaw.
She remembered the battle with MoonClan only a few moons ago.
She swiped frantically at the she-cat who had pinned her on her back. The warrior slashed into Smokestorm's underbelly, causing a sharp pain to spread. Smokestorm hissed and pushed of the warrior.

Spiderclaw managed to throw off the warriors that were attacking him, but another pounced at him. Jaggedstar and the rest of WindClan watched, like they were anticipating his death before they attacked ThunderClan. She wanted to help Spiderclaw, but she knew that he could hold his own for now.
She bolted back to the ThunderClan camp, ignoring the pain in her bones and underbelly.
"WindClan's attacking!" Smokestorm yelled as she entered the camp.
Without hesitation, Proudstep said "all warriors except Whitefur, Flamesnout and Quailwhisker, come with me. You three, protect the camp with your lives." Before leading ThunderClan into battle.

Smokestorm was about to follow, but saw the apprentices trying to tag along.
"No, no, no. I don't think so. You five are staying here!" She said firmly.
"But we wanna help!" Maplepaw stated.
"I know you do. But you five are the future of our clan. We can't have you die out there...I can't have you die out there. Stay here and protect the camp." She ordered.
They nodded and went to Whitefur's side.
Smokestorm ran after Proudstep.
She eventually caught up with Hollowfang, who looked nervous as ever.
"Where's you put the kits?" She asked.
"I left them in a warm hollow of a tree where they'll be safe until I get back." He replied.
She then remembered her dream, and felt a sudden urge to protect him.
"Stay at the back." She said.
He hesitantly nodded, knowing that he was the reason WindClan was attacking.

Smokestorm sped up and ran next to Fawnheart. WindClan was already making their way to the ThunderClan camp so they met them halfway.
Smokestorm launched herself at the first cat she saw, which happened to be Sunear, WindClan's deputy.
She knocked Sunear over and but into her shoulder. Sunear screeched and threw Smokestorm off. Sunear swiped at Smokestorm's face, but Smokestorm moved away and she and ended up cutting Smokestorm's side.
Spiderclaw - who was now on his feet, thanks to Proudstep's assistance - charged at Sunear and the two fought each other.

A WindClan warrior, Firebird, pushed Smokestorm over and the two fell down a small hill. This led them away from the actual fight.
They both stood up and Firebird immediately swiped Smokestorm's flank, leaving a deep cut.
Smokestorm hissed in pain and wacked Firebird across the face, dislocating his jaw. Firebird let out a muffled cry and fell down into the melting snow.
He was probably in shock and passed out. Smokestorm tried to make it back up the hill, but the melted snow made the hill muddy and slippery. Every time she tried to climb up, she fell back down a moment later.
She couldn't see what was happening, but she could hear everything.

Cries and hisses, followed by thuds and stomps.
Finally, she heard Jaggedstar say "WindClan, retreat!"
She felt the vibrations of cats running away.
"This isn't over, ThunderClan. We'll be back soon!" Jaggedstar said, before dashing off.
There was an odd silence. No ThunderClan cats said a word.
Smokestorm tried to climb the hill one more time, forcing her aching muscles to cooperate and her claws to keep her from sliding.
She was almost at the top. But then she slipped.

Oddly, she didn't fall like the other times. She felt something tug on her scruff and pull her up.
She turned around to see Wrenfeather.
"Are you alright?" Wrenfeather said, nuzzling into Smokestorm.
"I'm fine, mother. What happened?" She asked.
Smokestorm looked around, seeing that all the ThunderClan cats were gathered around in a circle. The two walked over to see what they were looking at.
Smokestorm's breath hitched as she saw two bodies lying lifelessly on the ground.
One of them was Fawnheart, lying with her eyes closed and a blood soaked pelt.
The other...was Hollowfang, with his eyes wide open and filled with terror. His eyes reflected the sky and blood spewed out of a cut on his throat.