Chapter 1

Smokekit trotted over to the elders' den while her brother, Wrenkit, was hopping all around the place like the ground beneath him was on fire.

Mouse-brain. Smokekit internally sighed.

She loved her brother of course but he was always very energetic and kind of dumb at times while she was more level headed. She sometimes questioned if she was related to her lunatic brother.

Smokekit had always preferred the company of the elders than her mother. Her mother was always very protective of her and her brother, the elders - as grumpy as they were sometimes - usually minded their own business and told wonderful stories. Smokekit didn't hate that her mother was overprotective - in fact, she was thankful that her mother cared so much about them - it was just that she had spent most of her life in the nursery with her mother, brother, other queens and kits. She knew that she could never get rid of her brother, so she visited the elders to get away from the same boring scenery.

She had wanted to go alone but her brother always came with her. Even though she loved him, she knew he would need to work on being independent and doing things for himself when he becomes a warrior.

"What are you bouncing around for?" she asked Wrenkit in her usual monotone voice.

"Come on, Smokekit. We get to become apprentices tonight!" Wrenkit exclaimed.

She had to admit, she was excited to be able to leave camp and run through the forest and hunt by herself.

"Will you calm down please, we don't want to startle the elders." she said calmly.

His excitement still showed on his face, but he was no longer bouncing. Smokekit and Wrenkit entered the elders' den.

"Why hello there you two." the soothing voice of Snowfield spoke. Smokekit nodded her head in greeting to the white she-cat. "Hey Snowfield." Wrenkit walked over in front of the elders and sat down. Smokekit joined him and sat.

"Back again are we? Let me guess, you want to hear another story?" Deadeye predicted, her usual grumpy attitude never faltering.

"Yes please." Wrenkit said.

"When are you kits going to spend your day with your mother?" Hazletail asked in annoyance but with a hint of sympathy in his voice that was presumably for their mother. Smokekit and Wrenkit had grown accustomed to Hazletail and Deadeye's grumpiness, it was an interesting change considering their mother was always very sweet towards them.

"I could have said it better, but Hazletail is right. It's your last day of being kits, I think you should maybe spend it with your mother while you still can, because after you become apprentices you won't really have time to see her anymore." Whisperfoot said in his gentil, tired, voice.

"Can you tell us just one story, please?" Wrenkit pleaded. Snowfield chuckled.

"Alright, just one. Then go spend some time with your mother. Lie down." Snowfield instructed. They did as she asked and lied down.

"When i was a kit, probably around your age, my mother would always tell me stories of the green star lake." Snowfield started.

Wrenkit and Smokekit simultaneously tilted their heads in confusion.

"She told me that the star lake was a green lake in the sky that only appeared at night during leaf-bare. She said that many years before her birth, all cats could see the stream of green light. Now, only special cats can see it. She said that only cats with the veil can see it today." Snowfield continued.

"What's the veil?" Wrenkit asked.

"Nobody knows, we only know that the veil is very rare and only a few cats have claimed to have it." Smokekit inched closer, intrigued by the story more than most of the elders' other stories.