Night out

Finn is 12

Rose pov

Being the baby of the family had its down sides. Like not being able to do what I want. Doesn't help that I am a girl and unfortunately, instead of teaching men to be respectful and not pigs, society just tells girls what to wear and not to go out at night. Why should I have to be home before dark when I know full well that John's son who is my age stays out all night if he wants to. But today was a good day. It was an 'ask and you shall receive' kind of day. My brothers were extremely busy in the betting den and aunt pol was away for the weekend. Only finn had free time but that meant he wasn't here to say no. Tommy was the boss so if he said yes, then all my problems would be solved for the short term. He was sat at his desk writing something down. Piles of paperwork lay on his desk and I could tell he was very busy which meant he would do anything for me to go away and stop bothering him. I walked over to him happily knowing that if I was loud, it will work.

"Hi tommy" I greeted him. He just nodded in response not really paying attention to my words. Perfect.

"Can I play out til dark?" I asked. He didn't answer as the phone rang so he immediately picked it up. Words were coming out of his mouth but none of it made sense to me. Grown up shit.

"Can I go out tom?" I asked again. He just held his index finger up to tell Mr to be quiet. Ha. As if that would stop me.

"Tommy?" He huffed but didn't reply so I started to poke him. Over and over again on the arm until he would acknowledge me.

"Yes do whatever you want now leave" he told me before going back to the call. Oh how wonderful it is when your brothers want you gone. So easy yet so smart. I should get a medal. I didn't waste time to let Tommy think about what he just said. Instead, I sprinted out of his office and straight outside where I saw other kids playing.

Truth be told, I didn't play with the kids very often. As much as I liked them and we spoke at school, it was as if I was kept in jail at home. Never given the opportunity to play. Particularly because my friendship ground consisted of 4 boys and 2 other girls. There was max and Jean. They were in the year obove us. Max had a younger sister in my year called Carol. And then there was Harison, theo and James. Me and James were the best of friends in school and we would play together on days when my brothers were too busy or in London. Ada, esme, grace and aunt pol would even help me meet my friends or yell at the boys for not allowing me my freedom.

Girl power is a true thing my friends. Gotta have eachothers backs. That's why i yelled at Tommy when I heard him making grace scream that one time in their bedroom. I also called aunt pol to tell her what he was doing but she just laughed and told me to ignore it. I could only assume it was because she was abit older and didn't understand but I would never say that to her face unless I wanted a slap.

"Rose!" James yelled as he ran and gave me a big hug. I hugged him back before greeting everyone else.

"We're going to climb the trees by the river. Wanna come?" Jean asked. I nodded excitedly. This was like Christmas for me. Once a year, listening to siblings argue (max and carol), alot of Swearing and of course, drunk men. We never got drunk of course. That stopped after we all tried it together and were all sick the next day. But we pass alot of men who would cat call me, Carol and Jean. The boys never like that and would very often prank the men later on with fire crackers or some other amazing explosion.

We started walking to the river and had to walk through and alleyway as a short cut.

"Erm guys....have you ever been this way?" I asked

"Course we have" max replied

"At night?" I asked

"Well not at night. But it's the same way" theo said. They started to walk on before I could stop them. As we walked i got more nervous.