Father

Finn is 13

Rose pov

Father. Special and warming, it is a word that most people use when talking about their role model. The man they some day want to be and the man who has cared for them for so long. For others, it is a dirty and vile word that reminds them of the abuse and torture they suffer at the hands of the man who beats their mother and wastes the family money on alcohol. But for me, it is neither. For me, the word Father has always meant nothing. No emotion was ever attached to the word and it never made me think of a certain person who I despise nor love. Its almost as if the word Father had ran away from my dictionary just like my biological father did. But no matter how much I want to, I just don't think of him when I hear the word. I wish that he came to my mind whenever the parental role was mentioned but all I picture is nothing.

I have known my siblings all my life and lived with them for 2 years. My mother died 2 years ago and my father not even knowing of my existence before he left my mother for a younger looking tart who in fact just wanted the money he lied about having. Well, just over a year ago, he visited my brothers in order to reconcile with his children that he abandoned due to the overbearing grief he faced. But of course he forgot that he wasn't the only one grieving and that not only was Mrs shelby his wife, but she was also a mother and they were his children that needed a father. During his small visit, he saw me once and Arthur said I was his child. I mean, he wasn't lawfully wrong.

Arthur adopted me and I lived with him. But I had sleepovers at my brothers and aunt pols so often that I don't think I have 1 home but multiple. My father was definitely shocked to hear about me. He even tried to get me to call him Grandpa but I just told him to fuck off. That pleased all my brothers greatly except Arthur who wanted to forgive him. But it was clear that the man deserved no forgiveness and God would show him that when it's time.

Despite not caring for my father, I cant lie and say I am not curious about him. Everyday, I imagine what he is like, how he would treat me if he knew about me and if he would have left my mother knowing she was pregnant. There was only one way to find that out. I had to ask. And not over the phone or in a lousy letter. I think the least I deserve is to know why he left me and have all my questions and doubts answered in person. Even if he doesn't want to meet his child, I'm sure he is just as curious as I am. No one on earth can find out about a child that carries their dna and not be the slight bit curious. All i had to do was get my brothers to contact him and then we could meet up and I could talk to him. Talk. Yell. Kill. Same difference.

We were sat in pollys House and one by one, everyone came in. First entered John and esme who sat down and got a whiskey. Finn came in aswell and took the whiskey off John who then snatched it back. Then Arthur and polly was of course already here. And finally Tommy. I sat on Arthur's knee whilst he bounced me up and down making me giggle and almost fall off. But he kept a firm grip on my waist so I would fall. When Tommy entered, everyone started at him to start talking.

"Don't look at me, I didn't call this meeting. I thought polly did"

"We got a letter through the door. They all said you wanted a meeting at pollys. Didn't recognise the handwriting though" John said.

"My letter said it was from polly" Tommy stated.

"Actually i called this meeting" I declared as I stood on the table. John said since I was the shelby angel that i was allowed to stand on the table and if anyone told me otherwise then they can stick the table up their arse.

"And whys that?" Arthur said. He looked at me curiously wanting to know what I had to say. I was a very important person so I was understandable.

"I want you to do me a favour. Can someone please contact our father and tell him I want to meet him." They had the same face as when I told them about how men in some countries lose their virginity to donkeys. Pure confusion.