Fun and Games

Rose is 2. Finn is 14

Finn pov

I was walking around Birmingham with 6 of my friends. We were just messing about, scaring a few people. But all the fun and games stopped when we heard a loud scream. It was the scream of a little girl and I recognised it to be rose.

We all looked at eachother before all 7 of us ran to follow the sound. We were coming up to an alley when rose ran out screaming. She spotted me and ran to me with her arms in the air signalling for me to pick her up.

"FINNY" She screamed. Whoever was chasing my sister was about to get a good beating. But to my surprise and relief, the person to emerge from the alley was John's 9 year old son Mark. He was laughing as he ran towards us.

"Gotcha ya" he said as he took rose and tickled her. Turns out her screams were screams of laughter as Mark played tick monster with her.

"Alright Mark?" I asked

"Ye. But I've been watching her for hours. Can you take her now. I need a break" he looked worn out. His hair was more messy than usual and his trousers covered in mud.

"Sure" I agreed as I took rose in my arms. He thanked me and walked off but I heard him mutter under his breathe

"Never having fucking kids" since he was John's son, I highly doubt it. I looked towards my baby sister as she laughed at my face

"Wow shelby, even she agrees your face is fucked up" my friend Kelly said.

"Piss off" I said as we continued to walk through Birmingham. The 3 girls in our group of friends awed over rose the entire time as the boys just laughed at her and gave threatening glares to any baby boys who took an interest in her.

We sat buy the canal drinking whiskey and smoking as rose was sat on my lap.

"Me" she said as she reached for the bottle of whiskey I had in my hand. I held it further away from her as I shook me head.

"No. Your still a baby" I told her. But she crawled across my lap in order to get the whiskey

"Like a true shelby" connor said laughing. I glared at him but passed my friend the bottle as I lifted rose up away from the alcohol

"Who don't we look at the birds" I said to distract her

"Tommy shoot bird" she said with an innocent smile on her face

"Never mind" I said. Damn you Tommy. She then reached for a cigarette which caused my friends to piss themselves laughing

"Fucking hell. I can't wait til she's older. She will be well fun to hang out with" Paula said as the others continued their laughter. I chuckled with them as I lifted rose on my shoulders to once again, attempt to distract her.

She couldn't stop laughing at being so high up. We were in a world of our own, forgetting about all the shit that comes with being a shelby and for once, just being a kid. Felt good.

"Fly" she yelled as I ran around with her. I heard a booming laughter as Arthur walked up to us. I hated when my brothers do this. It's so embarrassing

"Well don't you look the most gorgeous baby ever ay" he said as he took rose from my shoulders. She laughed at him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"Bye" she yelled happily as Arthur took her away. We all yelled bye back to her before she was out of our view.

Arthur pov

I walked back home with rose on my shoulders as she said hello to everyone she saw. They all said hello back knowing that if they made her upset in away way, they would have me to answer to.

Once we got to pollys, I put her down and sat her on Tommy's knee at the table. He took her and gave her kisses all over her face causing her to burst into fits of giggles.

"Play" she yelled to me Tommy and John who were all sat at the table

"Whatcha wanna play luv?" I asked

"Tag" she yelled as she jumped off Tommy's knee and went out into the garden. We groaned but followed her. Despite it being our garden and only us seeing, tag was one of the most humiliating games we play with her. We have to run really slow to give her a chance and it just doesn't look good.

John was 'it's first so her chased us around the garden before getting Tommy. We carried on playing for an hour. By the end, John had lay down on the grass out of breath, Tommy was hunched over trying to breathe and I was lay on the grass with rose sitting ontop of me

"Play" she yelled again.

"Not now sweetheart. We need a break" she had tears in her eyes and looked at us all with a quivering lip. We shared a look with one another before we all got up and continued to play. After 15 minutes, rose got hungry and we had never been more thankful

"Come on darling, let's get something to eat" John said as he lifted her on his hip. She cheered and we all went into the kitchen where polly had made us sandwiches.

"Tank you" Rose said to polly as she got a kiss on the cheek.

"You are very welcome" we all ate our sandwiches and drank our tea. Everything was going fine. But we are shelbys. When does anything go fine? Never.

Rose suddenly looked at us with tears in her eyes. She was on Tommy's knee as she ate.

"You OK luv?" I asked. She didn't have time to reply before she was sick all over the floor. Thank god it wasn't the table. We eat from there.

She began to cry and wail loudly as Tommy tried to calm her

"It's fine sweetheart" polly said as me and her began to clean it up.

"I'll go give her a bath" Tommy said. Polly handed him a bowl incase she was sick again just in case.

Tommy pov

I carried a crying rose upstairs and ran the bath. Once she was in, she stopped crying but still wasn't smiling. The crying began when she was sick in the bowl again. I got her out and changed her into night clothes. He hair was stilo wet but she should be fine.

When I walked downstairs, everyone was there waiting for her. Finn took her from my arms and sat her on his knee with the bowl. Rose rested her head on his chest as she closed her eyes and went asleep.

That night, we were up with her every hour whilst she was sick. And one of us had to make sure she had the bowl with her so we slept with her. We took it in turns until at 6 o'clock, she fell asleep and didn't wake up again until lunch time that day.

At that time, she was fine and the sickness seemed to have gone away thank god. Nothing was every perfect with the shelbys. Nothing ever went right and no plan was ever seen through without problems along the way. But that was what being a family is about.

Any one you see who say they have a perfect family are sad. And I feel sorry for them. Because who wants perfect? Perfect is boring. You gotta have some things go wrong or some bad eggs to make life abit more interesting.

A/N

1294 words