Prologue

8 years before current timeline...

Y/n POV

My name is Y/n Yaika. My father is the powerful Fire Nation general Akiro Yaika, and my mother is the beautiful court lady Shei Yaika. 

Because of my parents' high status, I am basically Fire Nation royalty. Well, almost because my best friends are the actual prince and princess, Zuko and Azula. 

Zuko is always standing up for me when Azula makes fun of me for not being as good of a firebender as her, but Azula is still fun to play capture the flag with. And their mother and my mother are friends, so we get to play together all the time. 

One day, I was practicing my fire bending alone in the courtyard, and I accidentally burned my arm. I winced and looked around, finding a small jug of water. I looked all around me before bending the water over to me and holding it on my burn. I sighed in relief as the cool water soothed the irritated skin. 

"Hey Y/n, you wanna play—" I jumped and dropped the water, turning to see Prince Zuko and his mother standing there.

"Y/n, dear, are you alright?" Fire Lady Ursa asked. Uh oh. She knelt down to me and took my arm. It was still burned and she looked at me with concern. "Y/n, how did you get that burn?" 

"I-I was firebending," I said timidly. She nodded and then gestured to the water. 

"And how did you move the water onto your arm?" She asked gently. I kept my mouth shut because I knew I wasn't supposed to say anything. Mother and father always told me never to tell anyone I was a waterbender, but I wasn't a good enough liar to figure a way out of this situation. 

"I-I didn't do that..." I finally mumbled. She sighed and took my hand, leading me away from the courtyard and into the palace.

"Zuko, go back to your room and don't tell anyone what you saw, alright? I'm going to get Y/n some help," Fire Lady Ursa said to Zuko. He looked at me worriedly before nodding and walking away.

"Bye Y/n, hope you get better," he said quietly. 

 We took the back way to the palanquin lot, and the Fire Lady pulled me into one and instructed the bearers to begin walking. Once we were moving, she leaned over to whisper to me.

"You're not in trouble, Y/n. I just need to bring you to your mother," she reassured me and I calmed down a little, but I was still nervous. What if mom is mad at me? 

Once we reached my father's house, we walked in and Lady Ursa promptly had a servant find my mother. My mom came out quickly and smiled at the two of us. 

"Ursa, what brings you here? Did Y/n throw an apple at Azula again?" She asked jokingly but Ursa grabbed her arm and pulled her into the bedroom, locking the door behind her. 

"Shei, I'm going to ask this once: is Y/n a waterbender?" My mother's smile dropped for a second before she chuckled. 

"Ursa, I think stress is driving you mad. How about a visit to the royal spa?" Ursa shook her head. 

"Shei, I saw Y/n waterbending. She burned herself firebending, and tried to fix it by waterbending. It's not me you need to be worried about, it's her. What if someone in the palace found out?" The Fire Lady said. 

My mother pulled me towards her with a gasp, finding the burn quickly. She picked me up and placed me on the bed, pulling a first aid kit out of the dresser. She dressed my burn and sighed, pulling me into her chest. 

"Please, Ursa. Please do not tell anyone. We tried our best to hide the fact that she's a waterbender with the fact that she's a firebender, but if anyone finds out, they'll take her away from me," she said and I gasped. 

"What?!" I shouted, and both women shushed me. Ursa placed a hand on my mother's shoulder. 

"Of course I won't tell anyone, Shei. But you and Y/n need to be careful. I'm not one to talk, but others are. I don't want anything to happen to you or your family, and I'll help however I can," Ursa promised. My mother nodded and squeezed me tighter. 

Ursa left after that, leaving me alone with my mother. 

"No one's going to take me away from you, right mommy?" I asked quietly. I felt my mother shake her head and pat mine gently. 

"Of course not, mommy and daddy will always keep you safe and keep our family together." 

~|~

Thanks for reading 💙💙