Ch 20: Retreat

That same day...

Y/n POV

I found Sokka and the others fighting Azula but I was too late, the eclipse was already over.

"Dad's all the way at the end of the hall and down the secret stairway on the left. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to see you now," Azula said smugly before running away.

"I'm sorry, I tried to come back after I figured out where the Fire Lord was hiding, but I got caught," I said dejectedly.

"It's not your fault, Y/n. Azula was ready for us. She had every move planned out," Toph said.

"Maybe it's not too late. The eclipse is over, but I can face the Fire Lord anyway," Aang suggested. Sokka shook his head. 

"I don't think that's a good idea," he said but Aang protested. 

"The Fire Lord knew we were coming this time. We thought we had surprise on our side, but we didn't," I said. 

"It just wasn't our day. What we need to do now is go help our friends," Toph added. Aang sighed and agreed. 

"You'll have another chance . I know you will," Sokka said to Aang, placing a hand on his shoulder. Aang nodded. "Let's get back up to the surface," he said. He reached to grab my hand but stopped when he remembered it was injured. I smiled and give him my other one, earning a smile from him too.

We ran out of the tunnel, and I was surprised how easy it was considering Toph could see through the whole volcano. We got on Appa and flew down to the Imperial city. 

War balloons and airships flew through the sky with us, and I got a sick feeling. We landed in the city and Katara ran up to us. She smiled when she saw me but when she saw our faces the smile dropped. 

"It was all a trap. Azula knew we were coming, and she's plotted out every move," Sokka said as he jumped out of the saddle. "We just gotta get to the beach as fast as we can." 

I jumped down after him and looked up to see Aang going off to attack the air ships. Katara went off with him, and Sokka ordered everyone back to the submarines.

We ran out of the Capital City and and down the volcano. The airships opened up over us and let out some bombs, but not enough to wipe us out. They kept going, not turning back to finish the attack. 

"Why aren't they turning around to attack us again?" Katara asked. I gasped. 

"They're gonna destroy the submarines," I realized. 

"How are we all going to escape?" Sokka asked and for the first time since I've known him, he looked truly hopeless. 

"We're not. With the Avatar we could still win on another day. You kids have to leave, you have to escape on Appa together," Chief Hakoda told us. 

"What? We can't leave you behind. We won't leave anyone behind," Katara said. 

"You're our only chance in the long run. You and Sokka have to go with Aang somewhere safe. It's the only way to keep hope alive," Hakoda argued. 

Bato added that the youngest of the group should go with us, while the adults surrendered. Sokka shouted all of a sudden. 

"They're at the beach already!" He yelled. We all turned and watched the airships destroy the submarines, and our last chance of escaping all together. We have no choice...

All the younger kids got into Appa's saddle. My stomach twisted as all the family goodbyes got to me. I watched Katara and Sokka hug their father and I felt horrible. If only I could've done more.