Ch 32: Tracking

The next morning...

Y/n POV 

We all woke up and came out to start packing up Appa. After we finished packing, Sokka stood back with his hands on his hips.

"Okay, that's everything," he said. 

"No it's not. Where's Aang?" Toph spoke up. We all paused, realizing we hadn't seen him since he stormed off last night. We ran into the beach house, searching all the rooms for him and coming up short. 

We all met on the balcony of his room, seeing Aang's staff, but not Aang. 

"Aang's not in the house, so let's check the beach," Zuko said and we went down the cliff to the shore. As soon as we got there, I pointed out somehting. 

"Look! There's his footprints, but they just stop," I said as I followed the trail to the waterline. 

"Maybe he was captured," Katara guessed. Sokka bent down to the footprints. 

"I don't think so. There's no sign of a struggle," Sokka said. Toph knelt down next to him. 

"I bet he ran away again," Toph bet. Sokka shook his head. 

"Uh-uh, he left behind his glider and Appa," he pointed out. 

"Then what do you think happened to him, oh sleuthy one?" Toph asked sarcastically. 

"It's pretty obvious. Aang mysteriously disappears before an important battle? He's definitely on a spirit world journey," Sokka concluded.

"His body still be here though," I reminded him. Sokka deflated but I pat his back, perking him back up. "He's gotta still be on the island somewhere. Let's split up and find him."

"I'm going with Zuko!" Toph said excitedly, clinging to Zuko's arm. We all looked at her. "What? Everyone else went on a life changing field trip with Zuko. Now, it's my turn," she explained. 

Sokka took Appa to look from the sky, while Katara and I went to look in the village. When we got there, there was a crowd of people chanting "Aang". 

Upon closer inspection, it was just the Ember Island Players. We looked around all the secluded parts of village I could think of, and still found nothing. 

We got back and met up with the others, and they had as much luck as us. 

"Hey, wait a minute. Has anyone noticed that Momo is missing, too?" Toph said all of a sudden. Sokka freaked out at that. 

"Oh no! I knew it was only a matter of time. Appa ate Momo!!" He shouted as he jumped over to pry open the bison's mouth and climb inside. 

"Sokka, he's probably with Aang," I told him. Sokka turned around and pointed at Appa. 

"That's just what Appa wants you to think," he said and he climbed deeper in Appa's mouth. 

"Get out of the bison's mouth, Sokka! We have a real problem here. Aang is nowhere to be found and the comet is only two days away," Zuko reprimanded. Everyone looked to him. 

"What should we do, Zuko?" Katara asked. 

"I don't know. Why are you all looking at me?" he asked in return. 

"Well, you are kind of the expert on tracking Aang," Katara reasoned. 

"How'd you find them all those times before?" I prompted Zuko. He thought for a moment before instructing everyone to get on Appa. 

I pulled Sokka into the saddle and stifled a laugh. 

"Are you alright?" I said, gesturing to his disheveled appearance. He rolled his eyes.