Ch 22: Thanks Zuko

The next day...

Y/n POV 

A knock on my door woke me up from my deep sleep and I groaned as I rolled out of bed. 

"What?" I mumbled tiredly as I opened my door. Zuko stood there looking unimpressed. Hey, you woke me up. What'd you expect?

"Sorry. I'm going to start teaching firebending to Aang, and I think you should be around while I do," he told me. I raised an eyebrow. 

"Which one of you needs a babysitter?" I asked him and he shook his head. 

"No, I just...look I know the others don't trust me, and I think it would be better if you were around. You know, to prove I mean no harm," he explained. I rubbed my eyes, just now starting to wake up and sighed. 

"Ok let me change and I'll come," I let him know. He nodded, telling me thank you before I closed my door to change. Unlike the others, I didn't change clothes for the invasion. My Fire Nation clothes were very comfortable to me, so I wore them doing the day and slept in my freedom fighter get up at night. 

After changing, I left the dorm part of the Air Temple and went to find Zuko and Aang. I found them on some flat surface and sat down on the ground a few feet away from them. I waved my hand. 

"Firebend away," I told Zuko and he looked like he was really waiting for permission. He turned towards Aang. 

"I know you're nervous, but remember: firebending in and of itself is not something to fear," Zuko started. Ok that's a good way to start. Aang exhaled. 

"Ok. Not something to fear," Aang said, seemingly warming up to the idea. Zuko continued.

"But if you don't respect it...It'll chew you up and spit you out like an angry Komodo rhino!" I facepalmed. There's the good old Zuko. 

Zuko instructed Aang to show him what he already knows, any amount of fire he can make. My stomach turned. Time to showcase my failure as a teacher. 

Aang inhaled and made an open palm strike to his left, a tiny puff of smoke coming out. 

"Maybe I need a little more instruction. Perhaps a demonstration?" Aang asked shyly. I turned to Zuko and he nodded at Aang, telling him to take a couple steps back. 

Zuko inhaled and punched the air, producing only a small flame. I raised an eyebrow. 

"What was that? That was the worst firebending I've ever seen," Zuko said to himself. 

"I thought it was nice," Aang said gently but Zuko obviously didn't take that. He kept trying to throw fire, coming up with the same tiny result each time. 

"Ugh!! Why is this happening?" Zuko asked frustratedly. 

"Maybe it's the altitude," Aang suggested, but even I thought that was far fetched. Might as well roll with it though

"Well let's move lower in the canyon and try again," I suggested and the two boys nodded. We moved to a deeper platform and Aang and I sat on a broken piller while Zuko kept trying to firebend. Aang sat up from his bored lying down position. 

"That one kind of felt hot," he said after Zuko expelled a small flame. 

"Don't patronize me! You know what it's supposed to look like," Zuko yelled back. 

"Sorry, Sifu Hotman," Aang said and I stifled a laugh as Zuko yelled at him not to call him that. I turned to the sound of footsteps and saw Sokka approaching with two apples.