Ch 25: The Boiling Rock Part I

Meanwhile...

Sokka POV

Zuko was able to get us back to the Air Temple, but it didn't change the fact that Y/n was gone. And I could've saved her. 

It took a whole day for the sedative to truly wear off of Zuko and I, a whole day wasted where I could've been planning to help Y/n. In that time, I started thinking about all the other people I failed to help. Yue, the Earth Kingdom, the invasion force, my dad... Well, maybe I can solve one of those. 

During dinner, Zuko came to offer me tea. I didn't take it but asked to speak with him privately. 

"So what's up?" Zuko asked. 

"If someone was captured by the Fire Nation, where would they be taken?" I asked, knowing I was failing about being subtle. 

"If it's about Y/n, I can't tell you," he said.

"What? Why?" I asked, frustration coming though in my voice. 

"Trust me. Knowing will just make you feel worse," he said and he tried to walk away, but I stopped him with a hand on his shoulder. 

"It's not just Y/n. My dad was captured during the invasion. I need to know what I put him through, please," I told him. Zuko sighed.

"My guess is he was taken to the Boiling Rock, the highest-security prison in the Fire Nation. It's on an island in the middle of a boiling lake. It's inescapable," he informed me. Ok, good to know. 

"So where is this place?" I asked. Zuko raised his eyebrow. 

"Why do you need to know? What are you planning?" Zuko asked. I shook my head. 

"Nothing. Boy, you're so paranoid," I said dismissively. He looked at me skeptically. 

"It's in the middle of a volcano between here and the Fire Nation. You guys actually flew right past it on the way here," he told me. Bingo. 

"Thanks Zuko. Just knowing makes me feel better," I said, yawning and walking away. 

I waited until everyone was asleep before executing my plan. I snuck past the sleeping people and towards Appa, walking him up quietly. I climbed up to his saddle and I fell off when I saw who was there. 

"Not up to anything, huh?" Zuko said with his arms crossed. 

"Fine, you caught me. I'm gonna rescue my dad. You happy now?" I asked, gathering the stuff I had dropped. 

"I'm never happy," Zuko said and I rolled my eyes. 

"Look, I have to do this. The invasion plan was my idea. It was my decision to stay when things were going wrong. It's my mistake and it's my job to fix it. I have to regain my honor. You can't stop me, Zuko," I told him, pushing past him to climb into the saddle. 

"Believe me I get it. I'm going with you. How are you going to get there? Prisons don't exactly have bison daycares," he said as I tried to ignore him. I sighed and looked back at him. "We'll take my war ballon."

Hang on dad, I'm coming...

Y/n POV

I groaned as my blood threatened to explode my head. I was being held upside down by guards as the warden smirked at me. 

"Ok fine, I'll talk!" I yelled and the warden gave the nod to flip me back over. I huffed, catching my breath and letting the blood flow back down. "Sorry false alarm." I said smugly and I was promptly flipped again. 

They're not going to get anything out of me. I'll die before I talk...

Sokka POV

Zuko and I flew above the clouds in the war balloon, sitting in awkward silence for the most part.