Ch 1: Jet

Present timeline...

Y/n POV

Well that was a lie. Here I am, alone, no family to speak of. At least I'm making a difference. 

"Y/n, why are you spacing out? Your trap is going to turn out horrible," a voice said, snapping me out of my reminiscing. I turned to the voice and noticed it was Jet, the boy I had been hanging out with in the forest. He was in the tree branch opposite of mine, and he was smiling at me.

 Jet led a group of other orphans called the Freedom Fighters, and they helped stop as many Fire Nation plots as they could. 

I joined up with them because I was looking for something to distract me, but it was kind of fun helping out. The Fire Nation's soldiers have taken a lot from me, it feels nice to take something from them. 

"Jet, my traps are always flawless. I bet I could make a better one than you with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back," I said and Jet frowned before he looked to the side and smirked. 

"I have a better bet: whoever takes out more soldiers from that Fire Nation platoon is the winner," he said and I noticed the camp he was talking about. I returned his smirk and opened up my water bag.

"You're on," I said and I pulled up a cloth mask to cover my face before flipping off the tree branch to the one below it and then down to the ground. I landed lightly on my feet in the bushes on the edges of the camp. Acrobatics with Ty Lee paid off. 

I noticed a trio of three kids stumble into the camp, drawing the soldiers attention. There was a boy and a girl there in water tribe clothing, and I assumed they were siblings by their similar features. The third boy was paler than the two siblings and the blue tattoo he had on his head and hands gave him away immediately. The Avatar...

The kids tried to run, but the soldiers fire bent at them,  blocking their exit. 

"If you let us pass, we promise not to hurt you," the older water tribe boy said. He's got to be bluffing. 

The captain seemed to call him on his bluff, but before he could step forward, Jet hit him the back of the head with a rock. I turned to glare at him for getting a head start but jumped out of the bushes and split my water to hit four soldiers in the back, tumbling them. 

Jet jumped down from his tree and flipped two soldiers over his shoulder, smirking at the group of kids he landed in front of. I scoffed and blasted the soldier that was sneaking up behind him. 

"Stop showing off or you'll lose the bet," I said, turning to take down the others. I didn't have the chance because the other Freedom Fighters descended from the trees and started their own attacks. 

The water tribe girl and the Avatar were holding their own with bending, and the boy had the ability to do the same if Jet didn't steal his thunder. He attacked the soldier before he could run at the boy who was waiting for the attack. 

The fight wrapped up pretty quickly after I flooded the remaining soldiers out of the camp. I returned my water to the bag on my back and pulled down my mask. Jet was standing next to the water tribe girl. 

"You just took out a whole army almost single-handed," the Avatar said in awe. I went over to the water tribe boy on his butt, offering him a hand up. He pouted but took it, letting me help him up. He scoffed. 

"Army? There were only like 20 guys?" He said and then he grumbled when a lemur jumped on his head, knocking him back down. "Ughh, Momo! Not the time." I chuckled and took the animal off him, enjoying the way it snuggled in my arms.