Ch 34: Boomerang

Y/n POV

I felt the heat of an explosion, and then nothing. My body felt light, and my mind clear.

"Y/n...?" I heard a voice say. I looked around and saw my mother, appearing to me just like she looked all those years ago. 

"Mother...do I finally get to join you?" I asked softly. She smiled at me but shook her head. 

"I'm sorry, my darling. But there's still people who need you in the other world. You can't give in, just yet. Go back to them. To your friends, your father, and that Water Tribe boy, you love so much," she said with a giggle. 

It all came back to me then.

Right, I'm not finished yet...

I opened my eyes and realized I was under water. I propelled myself up to the surface, inhaling deeply. I realized it hurt to inhale, and upon touching my neck I realized there was a burn there. I'll handle that later...

 Once I was under the light of the comet, I felt it's power enriching me. I took another deep breath and blasted myself up into the sky with fire. I looked around and saw Toph barely hanging on to Sokka, the two of them trapped by soldiers. I also saw a ship tilting towards them, and I figured that would work.

I flew over quickly and shot fire at the soldiers, dispersing them, and when the ship t-boned where Sokka and Toph were, I was there to catch them and gently set them down. 

"Y/n!" Toph shouted and she hugged me tightly. I groaned and heard a similar groan from Sokka. I knelt down by him and realized his leg was broken, but he didn't seem to mind. He quickly wrapped his arms around me. 

"Y/n...you do always come back," he mumbled and I could feel him holding in tears. I was doing the same. I pulled back and kissed his lips, before throwing his arm around my shoulder. 

"Always, Sokka. Now let's get out of here," I said and he nodded. We managed to make it inside a ship, Toph and I managing to keep any soldiers away. We made it inside the control room and I leaned Sokka against a wall while I took the wheel. 

After a moment, the sky was lit up by a bright blue light and a red light. 

"What is that?" Sokka asked. I noticed when the blue light overtook the red light and illuminated everything. I smiled.

"It's Aang. Way to go, Avatar," I said. The sea water rose to extinguish all the fires caused by the Fire Nation fleet, and then lowered to reveal the rocks underneath. I guided the ship down to the rocks and there we met up with Aang. 

Sokka congratulated Aang by re-enacting his battle a bit more theatrically. It's almost like his leg isn't broken...

I walked over to Fire Lord Ozai, looking at his slumped body. 

"So, did you...you know...end it?" I asked Aang. Ozai lifted his head and glared at me. 

"I'm still alive," he growled. I raised my hands up and backed away slowly. 

"I learned there was another way to defeat him and restore balance. I took his bending away," Aang told us. 

"Wow, who taught you that?" Toph asked him. 

"A giant lion-turtle," Aang said nonchalantly. I gasped in surprise and chuckled. 

"Boy, have we got a lot of notes to compare," I said. Sokka hopped over to me, leaning on me for support but bending down to taunt Ozai. 

"Well, look at you, buster. Now that your firebending is gone, I guess we should call you the 'Loser Lord'," Sokka jabbed. Ozai struggled to sit up. 

"I am the Phoenix King," he said with faux pride before fainting.