Ch 21: Welcome

The next day... 

Y/n POV

We agreed to let Aang goof off for a bit but as soon as we noticed the whole day passing by without any talk of business, we decided to go find him. 

Katara, Toph, and I hopped in Appa's saddle and Sokka took the reigns. We flew in the cavern of the temple, finding Aang soaring through on his glider. 

"Aang, can we talk about you learning firebending now?" Katara shouted to Aang. He didn't even look back. 

"What? The wind is too loud in my ears! Check out this loop," he said excitedly and ignored us to do a flip with his glider. 

"Aang, I think we should be making some plans about our future. Y/n's got a good firebending plan for you," Sokka yelled. 

"Ok, we can do that while I show you the giant Pai Sho table," Aang told him. This isn't going anywhere. 

Aang landed and we parked Appa right behind him. 

"Oh, and you're gonna love the all-day echo chamber," Aang said with a huge, distracting-us-from-the-fate-of-the-world smile. 

"I think that'll have to wait," Toph said ominously and we all turned around to see Appa move and reveal the last person any of them would expect to see. 

"Hello, Zuko here," the Fire Nation prince said. I internally face palmed. He never was good at entrances... 

The others were understandably on edge, producing weapons quickly while I just stood there. I was kinda expecting this, but not this soon. 

"Hey, I heard you guys flying around down there, so I just thought I'd wait for you here," Zuko said with a shrug. Appa got up close to him and licked him affectionately. "I know you must be surprised to see me here," he started. Not really...

"Not really, since you've followed us all over the world," Sokka said and I couldn't help but notice he placed his foot slightly in front of me, subtly protecting me. 

"Right...Anyway, what I wanted to tell you about is that I've changed. And I, uh, I'm good now. And well, I think I should join your group. Oh, and I can teach firebending, t-to you," Zuko explained. 

"That actually—" I was cut off by Toph. 

"You wanna what now?" She asked. 

"You can't possibly think that any of us would trust you, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are?" Katara asked, her voice increasing in volume. 

"Yeah, all you've ever done is try to hunt us down and capture Aang," Sokka shouted. 

"I've done some good things. I could've stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something," Zuko defended. Oh boy... 

Toph pointed out that Appa did seem to like Zuko, punctuated by the second affection lick the bison gave him, but Sokka shut it down quickly. 

"I can understand why you wouldn't trust me, and I know I've made some mistakes in the past—" Zuko was cut off by the others sharing the atrocities he had done during his banishment. Dang it Zuko, I'm trying to root for you but you're not making it easy. 

"Look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I attacked the Water Tribe. And I never should've sent that Fire Nation assassin after you. I'm gonna try to stop him—"

"Wait, you sent combustion man after us?" Sokka asked, brandishing the sharp side of his boomerang at Zuko angrily. That I can empathize with. He almost blew me up too.