Ch 33: Over

The next morning...

Y/n POV

We all went to bed after Zuko went to see his uncle and didn't come out. When the sun streamed into our tent, Sokka and I woke up. 

"Ready for a new day?" he asked me. I gave him a small smile. 

"Let's get into it," I replied and he smirked at me. We got dressed and went outside the tent, meeting with the others for breakfast and a debriefing. 

Zuko seemed to be much lighter in spirit, and I took that to mean that his talk with his Uncle went well. I was going to go speak with them, but Iroh found me first, engulfing me in a warm hug. 

"Zuko told me about how you helped him find his way. Thank you for not giving up on him," he whispered to me. I laughed bashfully. 

"I didn't do much, Zuko found his way on his own," I said and I grinned at Zuko over Iroh's shoulder. Iroh let go of me, keeping a hand on my shoulder. 

"Still, your mother and father would be proud at all you have done for the sake of goodness," he assured me. I bowed to him respectfully, thanking him for his meaningful words.

Everyone gathered around a pot for breakfast and the debriefing finally started. Zuko explained  the situation and then proposed his argument. 

"Uncle, you're the only person other than the Avatar who can possibly defeat the Father Lord," Zuko reasoned. I raised an eyebrow. 

"You mean the Fire Lord?" Toph asked for me. Zuko looked at her confused. 

"That's what I just said," he said defensively. Daddy issues, we all got 'em. Iroh shook his head. 

"No, Zuko. It won't turn out well. Even if I did defeat Ozai, and I don't know that I could, it would be the wrong way to end a war," Iroh said and he explained the historical and political implications, reducing our actions to senseless violence. "The only way for this war to end peacefully is for the Avatar to defeat the Fire Lord."

"And then...then would you come and take your rightful place on the throne?" Zuko asked hopefully. Once again, Iroh shook his head. 

"No. Someone new must take the throne; someone with a pure heart and unquestionable honor. It has to be you, Prince Zuko," Iroh told him. Zuko began to question his own honor, but Iroh shut that down quickly. "You restored your own honor, and only you can restore the honor of the Fire Nation." 

"I'll try, Uncle," Zuko promised. 

"Well, what if Aang doesn't come back?" Toph asked. 

"Sozin's Comet is arriving and our destinies are upon us. Aang will face the Fire Lord. My destiny is to take Ba Sing Se back from the Fire Lord so the Earth Kingdom can be free again," Iroh answered. 

"That's why you gathered the members of the White Lotus," I realized. Iroh nodded. 

"Zuko, you must return to the Fire Nation, so that when the Fire Lord falls, you can assume the throne and restore peace and order," Iroh instructed. "But Azula will be there waiting for you," he reminded Zuko. 

Zuko tried to say he could handle Azula alone, but Iroh made him realize he needed help. He looked at me. 

"Y/n-" I cut him off. 

"As much as I would love to show Azula how a princess should fight, Katara would do you a lot more help than I would," I said, offering Katara the shot at taking Azula down. Katara smirked at me, silently mouthing a thank you. 

"It would be my pleasure," Katara replied and Zuko agreed. With that settled, Sokka looked to Iroh. 

"So, then, what about us? What's our destiny today?" He asked Iroh. Iroh smirked.