Ch 27: Falling

A few days later...

Y/n POV

Being woken up from dead sleep from the ground rattling and a bomb was not a peaceful morning. Everyone awoke at the same time I did, just in time to see several Fire Nation airships attacking us. 

Aang used a gust of air to close the wind panels in front of our section of the temple, shielding us against the incoming explosives. The earthbenders opened up a tunnel behind us while the rest of us packed up our stuff on Appa. 

Everyone ran towards the tunnel except Zuko. 

"What are you doing?" I yelled towards him. He turned his head over his shoulder. 

"Go ahead, I'll hold them off," he said and he mumbled something I didn't know if the others heard. "I think this is a family visit." Azula. 

Zuko ran off and Sokka, Katara, and I went to keep Aang from going after him, and to help him try and pull Appa into the tunnel. Which is easier said than done. 

"I can't get him to go in there. Appa hates tunnels," Aang said frustratedly. 

"Aang, there's no way we can fly out of here," Katara said and she was being reasonable. 

"We'll have to find a way," Aang said and he let go of Appa's reigns.

"We need to split up," Sokka said. He went to the others. "Take the tunnel and get to the stolen airship," he said to them, and Katara wouldn't have that. 

She tried to protest but Hakoda convinced her it would be alright. The two siblings hugged their father before we all got on Appa. Toph pointed at a wall and spoke up. 

"I can clear that away and we can fly out through there," she said before jumping on Appa. I sighed, flexing my fingers. 

"There's a lot of fire over there, I'll help cover for us," I said, sitting up on my knees. Aang nodded. 

"We'll get through, let's go," he said and we got a move on. I was right and as soon as we burst through the rock wall, Azula blasted fire at us. I countered it with my own, waving it all away in a cloud of smoke.

We turned around to see Zuko and Azula begin to go at it on top of an airship. We couldn't get too distracted though, there were still platform mounted soldiers throwing fire at us. 

Katara and I stood up and worked in tandem to get through; she was the defense and I was the offense. She would block the fire with a ring of water, and then I would attack with fire, knocking the soldiers off their platforms. 

Aang took an evasive action then, hiking up Appa's reigns so he took a sharp upwards turn. The action surprised me and I fell backwards, but Sokka caught me. He chuckled. 

"You're really falling for me, huh?" he said with a smirk and I rolled my eyes, turning to hide my smile. 

Zuko and Azula's fire fight was coming to a climax and they managed to blast each other off the airship on opposite ends. They both fell through the air, but thankfully we were around to catch Zuko. 

Appa flew underneath him and I reached up to pull him safely into the saddle. I pat his back a little harshly and then we all looked back to see how Azula would land.

"She's not gonna make it.." Zuko said quietly. We watched Azula kick out with a blast of fire towards the mountain side, using her hair pin as a pick axe to stop her from falling. "Of course she did." 

We flew away, landing on a rocky island. We set up tents and I lit a fire place, Katara making dinner for all of us. 

"Wow, camping. It really seems like old times again, doesn't it?" Aang said. Zuko spoke up shyly from beside me.