Ch 3: Captive

A few weeks later...

Y/n POV 

I was walking down a dirt path when I heard a shout. I stopped and listened and heard another one. I walked towards the sound cautiously, bringing out a small dagger I had picked up from some pirates a while back. 

The sound was coming from a woman and her two kids: a young boy, no older than eight, and a little girl, who was probably still a toddler. The little boy was standing in front of his mother and sister, floating a small pebble over his hand. I hid behind a rock and listened in. 

"Leave us alone!" The little boy yelled. I noticed he was throwing the stone at someone with earthbending, and that someone was about 20 Fire Nation soldiers. The one who dodged the stone laughed. 

"Foolish boy. He must take after you, huh, Kanang?" The captain said laughing. The woman pulled her son back behind her. 

"Please, I've given you everything. Please don't take my son," she begged. The soldiers all laughed and then were silenced by their captain. 

"Earthbending is forbidden. Your son is therefore a criminal and we're taking him to prison," he said smugly. I pulled up my mask and jumped out from my hiding place and landed in front of the family. 

"You're not taking him anywhere," I said defiantly, brandishing my dagger. The soldiers were taken aback by my appearance but they didn't back down. The captain smirked and raised his hand.

"I'm tired of playing around. Take the girl with the knife and the earthbender. If the woman starts to fight, take her too."

The next thing that happened was a blast of fire. 

I had to duck to avoid it and I had to come up with a strategy and quickly. I don't know what would be worse: revealing myself as a waterbender or revealing myself as a firebender. Dagger master it is than. 

A soldier came at me with a spear and I diverted the blade to my right, swinging my foot up and then down to break the spear. I kicked out to push the man back into two others behind him.Another blast of fire came my way, knocking me off balance. I grabbed a displaced spear and threw it at the source, pinning the soldier to a tree behind him. 

I fist fought a few non-bending soldiers, not able to take all their hits but still holding my own enough to keep standing. Something sharp cut across my arm and I groaned in pain, looking up to see that some of the trees were filled with archers. I heard the mother shout from behind me. 

"Please, save yourself!" She yelled and I turned to her quickly. 

"I'm not going to let them take your son. Let me handle this," I told her. More arrows were shot my way and I realized I didn't have a choice. I opened my water bag and bent a stream out, freezing it in the air to shield us from the arrows. 

The soldiers gasped—they definitely weren't expecting a waterbender—but recovered quickly and continued to attack. I took a deep breath and drew any water from the atmosphere that I could feel to add to my own, creating an ice wall. I turned back to the woman and her kids and whispered. 

"Here's a good chance to escape. Take your kids and run," I told her quickly. She nodded and turned her kids around. 

"But what about you? They'll capture you," she said, and I could feel her motherly instincts kicking in. This is such a deja vu situation. 

"So be it. But you and your kids will be safe. Don't worry about me, now go," I said and I hurried her even more when I felt the soldiers hacking away at my wall. The woman mouthed a 'thank you' to me and ran away with her kids.