Ch 8: Useful

Y/n POV

The news of Aang's disappearance shook everyone on the ship more than the waves in this storm. We didn't have a plan and everyone was throwing out ideas that didn't stick. I thought of something and then spoke up. 

"You guys can start searching the ocean for islands or places he could've landed on Appa, and I'll search from the sea," I offered. Everyone looked at me in surprise. 

"Y/n that's too dangerous. This storm is getting worse and the waves aren't stable," Sokka said. I shook my head. 

"I'm a strong swimmer and a good waterbender, I'll be fine," I said and before anyone else could argue, I jumped overboard. I landed on my feet and froze them into a surfboard, propelling myself with the waves I controlled. 

The waves were rough, but I was able to stay up. I kept moving for what felt like forever and finally I saw a light in the sea. I got closer and noticed it was Aang, talking to a girl in white. Well she's beautiful. 

"Aang!" I shouted and he looked up to notice me. He climbed on top of the piece of driftwood that he was using to stay afloat and waited for me to come over. 

"Y/n, what are you doing out here?" He asked and I scoffed.

"Late night swim. Let's go," I said and I bent the waves behind us to move us forward. I felt the waves rise on their own and looked back to see the lady in white raising her arms, the full moon providing a backdrop for her. Wild guess, but the moon spirit? 

Aang and I landed on a volcanic island, flopping on the coast line in exhaustion. I turned to Aang.

"So why'd you feel like taking a dip?" I asked. He sighed. 

"Everyone thinking that I'm dead made me feel like a failure, if that makes any sense," he said. I nodded. 

"I get the failure feeling. I feel like I'm letting everyone down by not teaching you firebending. But I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then disappoint them if I can't do it," I said quietly. He looked at me confused and I realized I still had to explain. I did the pertinent parts and he understood without asking questions. 

"But I've come to realize that you haven't failed until you've given up, on your goals and on yourself. And I'm not going to give up, and neither should you," he said to me and I gasped slightly. I gave him a small smile and a nod.

"You're right. And not giving up should start with going back to the ship," I said coaxingly and he laughed. He laughed again when a certain little lemur attacked his face with loving licks. We turned and saw the Gaang running towards us. 

I moved over so Katara could wrap Aang in a hug. I wasn't expecting to be in one myself but Sokka pulled me into his chest. 

"I'm glad you're ok," he whispered, before pulling me into a group hug with the others. I didn't have time to process, so I just went with it. 

"What about the invasion?" Aang asked. 

"We'll join up with my dad and the invasion force on the day of the eclipse," Sokka explained. 

"Until then, I can try and teach you firebending," I told Aang and Sokka's smile meant more to me than Aang's at the moment. We all agreed on our plan and hopped on Appa, ready to start our waiting game in the Fire Nation. 

A few days later...

We stopped somewhere in Fire Nation middle of nowhere so that Appa could rest. Once we touched down, Aang jumped off like he was on a mission. 

"Alright, let's start firebending, Sifu Y/n," he said and he sounded so serious it was almost apprehensive. I slid down the side of Appa and stretched out.