Ch 29: Theatre

A few days later... 

Y/n POV

Zuko had the idea to move us from the rocky cliffs to Ember Island, where we'd spend the rest of our days until after Sozin's Comet. 

Once we landed on the island and settled into our rooms, Sokka came to me excitedly.

"Hey, Y/n, you wanna go exploring in town with me?" He asked, grabbing my hand and already pulling me away. I giggled. 

"You know I used to come here when I was little? It won't be exploring for me," I reminded him. He grinned from ear to ear. 

"Great, then you can show me around. Let's go!" He said, leading me away from the summer home. 

We walked into the tourist town and Sokka seemed amazed at everything. A familiar smell wafted into my nose, and I smiled in delight. I grabbed Sokka's arm and pulled him after me towards a meat skewer stand. 

"My father always used to buy me these when we came to Ember Island," I explained as Sokka and I ordered. I warned him that the flavor he was getting was extra spicy, but he had that look in his eye that said he was ready for the challenge. 

He bit into it and smiled, obviously liking the flavor, until his face turned red and he started sweating. He fanned his face but continued eating while I laughed. 

"And...done!" He said desperately after finishing the super hot skewer. I laughed and handed him a cup of water. He downed it quickly and then kissed me. "I'm glad to see you laughing, I feel like you haven't done that in a while," he told me. I shrugged. 

"Had a lot on my mind. But so has everyone else. Sozin's Comet is coming soon and I know it's weighing on everyone," I told him. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and started walking me away from the skewer stand, wandering around the town.

"Y/n, I wasn't talking about everyone. Don't get me wrong, I care about them too, but you have a habit of minimizing your troubles. I promised your father I'd take care of you, that includes your heart and mind," he told me, kissing my forehead. I put my arm around his back, squeezing into him and smiling. 

"I appreciate it Sokka," I said. We walked for a while before Sokka stopped in front of a poster hung up on a lamp post. He showed it to me and his face lit up. 

"This is exactly what you and everyone else needs," he said and he tore down the poster and grabbed my hand, running back to the beach house. 

Well, I trust Sokka. I'm sure what he has planned will be fun...

Sokka POV

Y/n and I ran back to the beach house, finding the others in the courtyard. 

"You guys are not gonna believe this! There's a play about us!" I yelled, gathering everyone around me. Y/n nodded enthusiastically. 

"We were in town and we found this poster," she said and I showed everyone the advertisement for the Ember Island Players' "The Boy in the Iceberg".

"Listen to this: "The Boy in the Iceberg" is a new production from acclaimed playwright Puan Tin who scoured the globe gathering information on the avatar. From the icy South Pole to the heart of Ba Sing Se. His sources include singing nomads, pirates, prisoners of war, and a surprisingly knowledgeable merchant of cabbage," I read to everyone. When Y/n mentioned the play being by the Ember Island Players, Zuko groaned. 

"Ugh! My mother used to take us to see them. They butchered 'Love Amongst the Dragons' every year," he explained. Katara turned to me. 

"Is it really a good idea for us to attend a play about ourselves?" She asked me. I pouted and pleaded.