Ch 5: Reunion in Ba Sing Se

Y/n POV

It took what seemed like forever, but I finally reached the middle of the city: the Upper Ring. I could tell I stood out, dressed in Water Tribe clothes but nobody questioned me because of the way I carried myself. Posture classes at the Fire Nation Academy for Girls: helpful. 

I walked around the Upper Ring and I was thoroughly impressed. The architecture conveyed extreme wealth—which was probably the idea—and the beautiful shades of green and yellow were pleasing to the eye.

Most of the buildings seemed to be residences, walled off large structures for the most wealthy and influential people in the Earth Kingdom. Aside from the Earth King of course. 

I noticed a crowd of people outside of a building. I walked over, realizing that it was a tea shop, and that the crowd was a line. The Jasmine Dragon, huh? 

I found a gold and jade bench and sat down, resigning myself to people watching. The action brought back memories of my mother. She and I used to go into the Fire Nation Capital City and people watch. She'd always make comments about how strange and fascinating Fire Nation customs and social norms were. I didn't then, but now I understand  that she was speaking from an outsider perspective. 

Father introduced her to the Fire Nation and was able to hide my and her heritage. What could've changed that Mother and I had to leave? What made it so there's a bounty on my head? 

Zuko POV

Uncle's tea shop was becoming more and more popular, meaning I had more and more work to do. It was soothing though, this routine and comfortable life. 

"Lee, why don't you take a break for a few moments?" Uncle said to me, while also juggling three trays with three tea sets. I raised an eyebrow and he noticed my apprehensiveness. He smiled at me. "Go, I'll be fine."

I shrugged and hung up my apron, walking outside. I saw the crowd and sighed, deciding not to take too long of a break. I turned around and noticed someone, someone I never thought I'd see again. No, this can't be.

The girl sat leisurely on the gold and jade bench, the wind blowing through her h/c hair. When her e/c finally looked up and met mine, I knew for sure. I walked towards her. 

"Y/n?" I said quietly. Her face broke into a smile and she jumped up to hug me. 

"Zuko," she whispered. I hugged her back, emotion washing over me. I realized we were in public and let go of her. 

"Hey, do me a favor and call me Lee," I told her. She raised an eyebrow but then nodded. She pulled me over to the side of the building, away from the crowd. 

"Ok...Lee, but what happened to your face? And what in the world are you doing here?" I asked. He chuckled breathlessly. 

"I could ask you the same thing. After you left, I never thought I'd see you again. Honestly, I thought you were dead," he said and I shook my head. 

"Father sent Mother away with me, but when she was killed, I thought that was the end of it. I just recently found out that Father was alive," I semi-explained. 

"Your father's more than alive, he's still a high ranking general in the army. He still has my father's trust," he informed me. I processed what he said and then gasped. 

"Speaking of, why are you here and not by your father's side? You're going to be Fire Lord one day right?" I asked and he shook his head. 

"Father banished me. Scarred me in an Agni Kai and sent me to wander the world. Uncle's been the only person helping me since," he explained. I reached up gently and stroked his face.