Explanation

Sans was up earlier than usual. He somewhat dreaded what was going to happen when they woke up and was hoping to soften the blow with breakfast. Perhaps he should have told Papyrus, but he hadn't been expecting it himself. Not until the eve of. His rut had hit him like a freight train and had sent him reeling. He knew he couldn't stick around so he didn't. At least now it'd be a good five to ten years before he had to do it again, and maybe by then he wouldn't have to run off to take care of his out of control hormones. He sighed wearily as he lightly salted the eggs he was making. He decided that he despised ruts. Of course, all skeletons went through them. His father had as well, and when his mom died, Roman had to leave the house for a week as well. A male Skeleton in rut wasn't the safest to be around, while a female Skeleton in heat... they were really just super cuddly. Especially with their pups. Sans could say that from experience with his mom. Sans skull twitched upon hearing stirring from within the living room. Here comes Papyrus.

⛓️⛓️⛓️

"SANS." The warning note was all Sans needed to know he was in deep shit. "pap, i can explain.." Sans was giving Papyrus mournful sockets, pleading forgiveness from the younger. Papyrus let up a little. "OH ALRIGHT... I'M GLAD YOUR BACK BROTHER. WHAT HAPPENED? WHERE'D YOU GO?" Sans plated Papyrus some eggs and sausage and passed it over to Papyrus. "i unexpectedly went into a rut. i had to get far away from you and [Y/N] so i wouldn't.. you know.." Sans grumbled embarrassedly, messaging his vertebrae. "OH? OH- OH YES I QUITE UNDERSTAND. SO... YOU HAD TO GO HOME WITHOUT ME?" Sans looked even guiltier. "'m sorry pap, if i had anywhere else to go..." Papyrus gave Sans a reassuring grin, all was forgiven. "HOW ARE THEY... STILL UNDISTURBED I HOPE..?" Papyrus tone got significantly lighter. Sans nodded. "untouched. i cleaned up their hiwyns (alter in the Skeleton Language) a bit. gave them more offerings... told them 'bout [Y/N] and that you were ok." Papyrus smiled again, though it was much sadder. Sans hugged his baby brother close. Papyrus broke down on Sans, though the elder didn't mind say the least. "I WAS SO WORRIED AND SCARED..."
"i know... i'm sorry.."

⛓️⛓️⛓️

[Y/N] was not so forgiving when she woke up to a crying Papyrus and Sans hovering over him. "YOU! YOU JERK, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" She snapped, startling both the boys. She marched up to Sans and jabbed a finger into his chest. "Your brother and I have been worried sick after your little disappearing act! We had no clue if you were hurt or kidnapped or worse! You better have a good fucking explanation, Comic Sans!" Sans blushed. He knew he was supposed to be serious at the moment but he didn't think she'd get that worried over him. She really did care and it made his soul sing and pull all the more towards her. It didn't help that she'd called him by his first name, which was actually pretty hot in his eyes. "i do, i'm sorry for leaving so ubruptly... [Y/N].." Sans replied softly. Perhaps some lingering affects from his rut. "sit down, i'll plate your food and explain it to you, ok?" She crossed her arms and huffed, but took her seat at the table. Sans sighed with relief and moved on to plating her own breakfast.

⛓️⛓️⛓️

Papyrus had calmed himself at this point as Sans joined them at the table. "ARE YOU NOT GOING TO EAT AS WELL, BROTHER?" Sans shook his head. "not hungry, i ate earlier." [Y/N] narrowed her eyes. "Enough stalling, Skeleton. Explain. Now." Sans made a slightly embarrassed noise, but relented. "it comes down to biology, really. an unmated Skeleton goes into something called a rut, or a heat for females, every five to ten years after meeting his soulmate. the rut usually lasts about a week." [Y/N] quirked a brow. "And rut is..?" Sans flushed again. "it's, uh, our breeding season. males tend to get possessive of their soulmate when they are in rut and when they are possessive they get aggressive. it's almost like being feral without being feral. an uncontrollable instinct. and since i am feral, it would be worse for me which is why i dipped." She avoided eye contact, looking rather mortified. "Oh."
"yeah." Sans agreed. "so is all forgiven?" She gave a nod, refusing to look at him. "on the bright side, it'll be five to ten years before i have to 'vacation' again." She made a discomforted noise.

⛓️⛓️⛓️

The bullet wound was more or less healed now. Don Gaster's ribs on the other hand. Sans had done a number on his ribs. One of his lower ribs had broken off and dusted. The others were still healing, limiting his movements. But why hadn't Sans bit him instead? His chains were off, his instincts were supposed to be in full control. Unless something else was influencing him, somehow. "He's gaining control... it shouldn't be possible.." Gaster muttered to himself. "Unless..." Gaster dug through the desk drawers, pulling out a piece of paper and a pen. First Sans started disappearing nightly. Yes he'd noticed that. Then there was the time when he'd stopped midway through his task, trying to go after something... or someone. Then the boys didn't come back at all. The Don tapped his pen on the desk. "Could it be... that the human girl is... if so... than things would make sense. A monster couldn't kill his... yes. Yes! So that's how it is. Choosing her over your uha (brother)." Don Gaster chuckled lowly. "Well Sans, let the war on her life begin!"