Ten Years Before

*Ten Years Before*

I shrugged off my dark green robe, tossing it onto my neatly made bed. Right before I could kick off my boots, a knock came from my door. I sighed, upset that my day wasn't over yet. 

"Yes?" I asked the grey protocol droid at my door. 

"Miss. Likely," It said formally. "Master Windu requests your presence in the council room." I knew what this was about. I'd been regretting it ever since the Battle of Naboo ended. 

I nodded, letting it know I understood before it pivoted around and continued down the hall. 

I gently closed my door before walking down the hall. Moonlight streamed from the window. The floors were clean and shiny just like everything else in Naboo. Everything was normal except for the fact that we had just lost one of our Jedi Masters. 

I nodded to Master Plo Kloon. "Good evening, Padawan Likely." I bid him the same. He was most likely headed to his temporary chambers to get some rest before traveling back to Coruscant in the morning. Which is what I should also be doing, and yet I'm not. 

After one more corridor, I was at the doors of the council's meeting room. I raised my fist to knock but before I could, Master Windu walks up to me. 

"Florence," I smiled weakly at him and he smiled back before pulling me into a warm hug. "Follow me." I took a deep breath. 

I knew he could feel the nervousness that radiated off of me. The only thing that could be heard were our footsteps in the hollow halls but he could hear with more than his ears. 

I fidgeted with the ring on my index finger that Mace had given me when I first began my training. Jedi's weren't really allowed to have possessions either, but I always kept this one thing. What harm could a simple silver ring do?

We entered one of the meditation rooms. I'd spent countless hours in these rooms trying to clear my head before fights and training. 

"Take a seat, kid." He motioned for one of the orange cushioned chairs. I sat down and he sat down in the chair across from me. 

His hands knitted themselves together as I stared out the window at the stars that dotted the skies of Naboo. I tried to focus on the shimmering water beneath but Master Windu's words brought me back. 

"I have a feeling you know what I'm going to ask, my Padawan." I nodded my head, finally meeting his gaze. "Is it hesitation I sense within you?"

My breath caught in my chest. I opened my mouth to speak but he cut me off by raising a hand. 

"I know it's scary, Lore. But you are ready. I'm sure of it, and so is the rest of the council." I chewed on the inside of my cheeks. "The strength you showed on Tatooine by putting the petty frustration between you and Obi-Wan behind you and when the two of you worked together to destroy Maul... you really proved yourself." He leaned forward and grabbed my freezing hands. 

Obi-Wan and I became Padawans at the same time but under different masters. We were constantly told to train against each other. It easily became a constant competition which made it easy to dislike him. We needed to beat the other. With academics, with force training, lightsaber fighting, and who could complete the most missions. We were rarely sent on the same missions until recently when we went to Tatooine together. Mace didn't come with us, however, because he wanted to see how I would do alone. 

It was easy to ignore Obi-Wan for a while until we were left on the ship together for hours alone doing nothing as Qui-Gon saved a small boy. I got to know him a little but he was still just as stuck up as before.