High Ground

His idea consisted of asking Padme. I knew it was a dumb idea but possibly with enough pressure, she would tell us what she knows. I knew if I could just get to her, she would listen. But love would be blinding her at first. I was right.

She refused to tell us anything. I knew she was lying. After a very long few minutes, I nudged Obi-Wan's shoulder and told him to leave it be. I whispered to him that I had another idea.

I'd gotten to know Padme fairly well and one thing I did know was that her independence was her biggest strong suit. However, it could also be her biggest weakness. 

After we left Padme's quarters we hid behind a few cargo bins on a loading platform. The Naboo ship that was waiting on the platform started to fire up. Obi-Wan looks at me proudly once Padme's familiar voice began to ring. 

I started to run when the coast was clear and Obi-Wan was following me now. We ran up the ramp of the ship just before it started to close. 

Obi-Wan pointed to a place where we could hide until we got to where Anakin was. He opened a small white door and walked in, having to sit because of low the ceilings were. There was enough room for the both of us to be in here comfortably. 

I look over at Obi-Wan after getting comfortable on my side of the room and his arms were open, inviting me in.

I smiled a slid between his legs, laying the back of my head on his chest. His arms fell across my, holding my hands. I looked down at them and Mace's ring reminded me of the question. Was he dead?

"It really is a pretty ring," Obi-Wan said as he ran his fingers around it. 

"I know." I still remember the day he gave it to me. 

"Close your eyes," My new 'Master' told me. I did it without hesitation. A giddy smile made the dimples on my chubby cheeks stand out. 

It was a few days after I was rescued from my home planet of Jakku by Mace Windu. I was taken to a strange planet called Coruscant which was much different from the desert that Jakku was. Coruscant was a gorgeous city where everything seemed to glimmer. 

Mace told me that I was special and that I was going to become a sort of hero but I needed to train to do so. Of course, I was going to do everything to become a hero. To help people. 

The concept seemed so easy back then.

"Open your hand," Master Windu instructed. I did so. I felt a cold weight fall into my hand. "Open your eyes." 

My eyes quickly searched my palm for the object and I found a silver ring that was decorated with lines and dots and swirls engraved in the shining silver. 

"When that ring can fit your finger, I will take you in as my Padawan. But you have to train to get there, understand Lore?" I nodded eagerly. 

Now the ring was dulled and the chubbiness in my cheeks has faded. And I did anything but save people. We didn't get back quick enough to save all those people. They're dead and I felt as though their blood was dripping from my hands.

I wasn't a hero.

It killed me that the little girl that felt on top of the world when she first arrived on Courscant would be so disappointed at the girl she turned into. That little girl whose eyes once glistened with joy now glistened with tears. 

I felt my shoulder nudge and Obi-Wan whispering. "Lore, wake up," He nudged. My eyes started to open, not realizing I'd fallen asleep. "We're here, we need to go."

I nodded and shuffled awake quickly. I pressed a button that made the white door slide open with a whoosh and we both stood up. I brought my sleeve up to my eyes and brushed away the tears that must have been falling while I was asleep.