Last Goodbye

I stood before large glass windows that peered into where Padme was laying, draped in white clothes. A blank expression wore down my face as tears were still caked on my cheeks.

Only a few minutes ago we landed on Polis Massa which is a planet in the middle of an asteroid field. Hopefully, it would provide enough security at least until we got Padme better. 

Beside me stood Obi-Wan, Senator Organa, C-3PO, and Yoda. All of us wondering when she'll wake up from the deep sleep she hasn't really awoken from since Obi-Wan and I went back to the ship after the battle on Mustafar. 

We watched as droids and other creatures worked around her, scanning for injuries. Our attention was drawn to a medical droid that walked out of the room she was in.

"Medically, she's completely healthy," I let out a deep sigh, as did Obi-Wan. "For reasons we can't explain, we're losing her." That familiar pit sunk in my stomach. 

I look to Obi-Wan who speaks to the droid. "She's dying?" I couldn't tell if it was anger or concern in his voice.

"We don't know why," The droid pleaded. "She's lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies."

Babies? Plural?? Bail speaks the question that rattled in my head. The droid tells us she's having twins.

Obi-Wan looks down at his feet before walking away from the droid and staring at the ex-queen. Padme was dying. I can't handle any more losses today. 

That's when Padme wakes up, screaming in pain. I look over to the med droid quickly. "It's time."

Yoda looks at me. "You and Obi-Wan," He nods his head towards her. "Go in. Need you she will."

I don't waste any time running into the room. The droids quickly get their tools and supplies ready. Her painful scream doesn't stop until I run to her side and give her both of my hands which she squeezes. She's still in pain but her wails have ceased. For now. 

Obi-Wan stands next to me, unsure of what to do. 

It doesn't take long for her screams to erupt again, tears welling in her eyes. She squeezes my hand so hard I'm worried the bones might just snap. After quite a long time, the droid shuffles over, speaking some kind of unknown language to me. It brings a baby and hands it to Obi-Wan who quickly brings it over to Padme. 

"Luke," She says wearily. She stares at the baby and her feature soften for a moment and I'm hoping this was her new reason to live. But the moment was short-lived. She screams again, her voice bouncing off the white walls of the room. 

Her breathing was erratic when the droid passes me the second baby, saying more things in that droid language. "Leia," Padme says. The baby's curious brown eyes were identical to her mother's. 

Her breathing calms down after a few minutes but the pained expression on her face still won't go away. 

"Florence?" She asks. I lean closer to her so I can hear the whisper of her voice better. "There's good in him. I know. I know there's... still-" Her eyes begin to flutter shut.

"No, no. Padme, you know what? Tell me, please," I beg doing anything to keep her conscious. But her head lols to the side and her lips part. Letting one final breath pass through them. "Padme, you need to tell me what you know." Tears welled up again. My voice was pitched and cracking as I spoke. No matter how much I spoke, she was gone. 

I stood up, straightening myself out as I help baby Leia in my arms. She stared up at me with big eyes. Her tiny hands took a hold of my right hand's ring finger and clutched onto it, amazed by Mace's ring.