The Republics Army

A tall Kaminoan had approached me and Obi-Wan. She'd obviously seemed to recognize that Obi-Wan was a Jedi but she kind of ignored me. I didn't mind, it's probably better to be ignored than to be recognized as a traitor. 

She mentioned something about how she had been expecting the Jedi to come for a while but doubted if they were because of all the years that they'd been kept waiting. Obi-Wan shot me a confused glance as if I of all people would know what was going on. I shrugged.

That's when she told us to follow her because the prime minister was waiting to speak to us. 

I took one final glance at the ship, trying to decide if I should take my shot and leave now. 

This can't take too long, right?

I follow Obi-Wan and the Kaminoan through bright white walls. They seemed to be very reflective of a light source that I couldn't find. 

Everything was smooth as if it were sanded down with the finest grain they could find and then waxed and shined. There wasn't a heel on my boot and it still somehow clicked with each step across the floor. I could make out a warped picture of myself on the floor as I walked.

Finally, we made it to a room whose doors opened like a flower. Inside was a single throne and a Kaminoan in red and black robes. His hair was cut into the shape of a mohawk and when he stood up his stance was regal. 

"May I present Lama Su," The lady who walked us in said, gesturing a long bony hand towards who I assumed to be the prime minister. "Prime minister of Kamino." All three of us bowed to each other. 

The lady turns her stance towards Lama Su. "And this is Master Jedi..." She paused, looking to us to finish the introduction. My heart raced, thinking of what I would say. 

"Obi-Wan Kenobi." He looked at me but I guess he could tell I didn't know what to do. "And this is my-" He hesitated for a moment. "Padawan, Florence Likely." I flinched at the word a little but I forced a smile just the same. 

The prime minister glared between us for a moment and his ebony eyes made it seem like he was staring right through the lie. "I trust you are going to enjoy your stay." That was all he said. Two egg-shaped chairs floated down from somewhere and he gestured for us to take a seat so we did. 

We started talking about 'business' and by we I mean Lama Su and Obi-Wan. I sat quietly, almost too afraid to breathe because of the woman that was standing over my shoulder the entire time. 

From what I've overheard, the Kaminoas were asked to create a clone army for the republic. The request was made by Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, however, he did almost ten years ago. His name sounded familiar but I'm not sure we ever truly talked. 

Their conversation was coming to an end when Lama Su offered to let us inspect the units for ourselves. Obi-Wan played off his reluctance as he agreed. 

I stood up and once again followed them through the white reflective hallways. It doesn't take long for us to end up in some kind of laboratory. 

Lama Su presses a few buttons and a door slides open, making my jaw almost drop at the sight beyond the door. 

A light blue light seemed to shine over everything. Photocopies of the same human but at different stages of life were everywhere. Some were training, others were colors, some were taking a test. 

"Very impressive," Obi-Wan says as we walk down a path that's suspended above the clones. 

"I'd hoped you would be pleased," Lama Su says thankfully. "Clones can think creatively. You will find that they are immensely superior to droids." He goes on to boast about how great his clones are but there was something in my gut telling me that this wasn't all it was cracked up to be. 

First, Obi-Wan thinks that it's the Kaminoans who have sent the attack on Padme but now I'm not so sure. They seem to have gotten an order from the Jedi Council about a clone army but no one knew about it except a singular dead Jedi Master. Too much of a coincidence. 

"And who was the original host?" Obi-Wan asked, knocking me out of my thoughts. 

"A bounty hunter called Jango Fett."

Obi-Wan slows his walking pace. "And where is this bounty hunter now?"

"Oh, we keep him here," Lama Su replies. "Apart from his pay, which is considerable, Fett demanded only one thing: an unaltered clone for himself. Curious, isn't it?" For some reason, he looks back at me when asking. I smile and nod. 

"'Unaltered'?" 

Lama Su nods his head. "Pure genetic replication. No tampering with the structure to make it more docile, and no growth acceleration."

"I should very much like to meet this Jango Fett," Obi-Wan asks. I knew that request was coming. 

It doesn't take long until we're at the door of Jango Fett's quarters. Taun We, the woman's name who's been creeping me out, asks a kid who answers the door if he could get his father for us. 

I step inside the little room after Obi-Wan who seems to already be inspecting the place for any sign of danger. I look at the kid who opened the door and his eyes were glued to Obi-Wan maliciously. 

Eventually, a man steps out of a room, adjusting the cuffs on his shirt. Taun We make small talk with him before she introduces us. 

"This is Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Padawan Florence Likely. They've come to check on our progress."

A heavy tension fills the room. "Your clones are very impressive, you must be very proud," Obi-Wan attempts to lighten to mood but the conversation seems forced.

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." I cringed a little.

"Ever made your way as far into the interior as Coruscant?" It took all of my willpower not to gawk at the boldness of the question. 

Jango Fett's shoulders seemed to become tense. "Once or twice."

"Recently?"

Don't laugh.

"Possibly," Jango Fett says with a raised eyebrow as if challenging him to keep pestering him with questions. I shifted my feet uncomfortably. 

"Then you must know Master Sifo-Dyas." Jango's response to Obi-Wan's question was what told me something was wrong. Jango talked to Boba in a foreign language before responding. 

"Never heard of him." 

They continue to talk and Jango says something strange. That he was hired by someone named Tyranus on one of the moons of Bogden.

After a few more tense words, we finally leave. Taun We trailing behind us swiftly. 

We finally get back to the door where we first entered and say our goodbye's and thank you's to Taun We. No matter how nice she was, she still freaked me out. 

Before escaping back into the cold rain Obi-Wan flips up his hood once more. 

"Stand aside and stay quiet, I have to do something."

Obi-Wan tells his R4 unit to set in a radio message to Coruscant. I can hardly hear what he is saying over the wind and rain pouring all around me. There seems to be some conversation going on but raindrops are rolling down my bangs and into my eyes, making me clench my eyes shut. 

"Florence!" I hear my name over the wind. 

"Yeah?" 

"Come on, back inside!" I don't hesitate to follow him inside and out of the rain. 

Once we're back inside we take a minute to just stand as he explains what was going on. 

"The masters want me to bring Jango Fett back to them. They want to question him." I nod my head as he talks. "Do you have your saber with you still?" I move a piece of fabric that's been concealing the saber on my belt. He nods and I follow him in a light jog down the hall to another docking bay.