At His Disposal

*Florence's POV*

Black dots clouded my vision. All I could hear was the deafening sound of loud rocks cracking and breaking. I couldn't see what was happening but I could feel Obi-Wan needing help. The burn in my chest, my arms, and my neck, however, prevented me from standing.

I felt a rough hand clasp itself over the front of my tunic and hoist me into the air. The dots were quickly shaken from my vision as I was tossed back to the ground a few feet away. 

An eerily familiar voice whispers into my ear. "You precious Obi-Wan in below that," Vader whispers. I choke out a gasp. "I know he's not dead. But there are more ways to kill someone than with death."

The bottom of my lip shakes as I realize he's got me again. Vader's got me again. "I'll give it to you, that escape stunt you pulled was beautiful." His voice was still low in my ear. "Unfortunately, here you are at my disposal again."

I don't say anything as I stare at the giant cave in the ground that's been sloppily filled with rocks. Tear's threatening to escape. 

"I don't plan on killing Obi-Wan today," Vader said. He was lying, he had to be. Right? Then again, with their history, maybe he truly didn't want his master dead. Or maybe he can't kill him. Maybe Obi-Wan's too strong. "But, if you don't listen to what I'm going to tell you to do, then you will be the cause of his death."

I look up at the masked man I couldn't even recognize with his mannerisms or his essence. It was like Palpatine erased Anakin Skywalker and reprogrammed him like a useless droid.

"What?" I spat out. I regretted asking the second he started talking.

"In everyone's mind, you are dying tonight." He was going to kill me. I bit my tongue. If I could wake up from this nightmare, this was the last chance. "Except you aren't." I looked up at him with hatred and confusion. "You will stand up and I'll grab Obi-Wan's attention. Then I will 'strike you'. I won't truly, but you will still scream as if you're dying. Then, you'll stop your screams as if you're inches away from death. When Obi-Wan escapes, he will run to check on you first. You will open your eyes, barely, before dying in his arms. You'll hold your breath as long as you possibly can." 

I wanted to shake my head. I wanted to stand up and kill Vader but I knew if I failed he would truly kill me then Obi-Wan. 

"You'll lay there until you are absolutely positive that he is gone. You will then go to my ship, understood?" I blink out a few tears before standing, very aware of the two sabers on my hip. "And trust me, if he doesn't come and fight me again believing you are dead, I will know. Don't try anything."

"What will you do with me?" I ask weakly. 

"We can discuss that later. All you need to know is that you won't be escaping this time."

His red saber illuminates his masked face and the rocks below. 

He turns to the pile. "If I'm not allowed to have Padme, then you're not allowed to have Florence." So that's what this was about. He can't get it through his head that he killed Padme. And if he can't be happy with his love, then no one can. 

Vader turned to me and nodded at me as if that were my cue. "OBI-WAN!" I let the words rip from my sore throat. With his one arm, he twists the saber, slicing the air right in front of me. 

That's when I screamed. I screamed as if I were in pain from the saber but the pain was real. I was about to trick Obi-Wan into thinking I was dead. If I didn't he would be killed. This was, at least, we both lived. Unless Vader was lying and planned to kill us both which is also very possible. 

But Vader still needed me. I was still the only thing left of Padme in his mind. 

I placed myself on the ground, making sure my cloak covered my stomach so that Obi-Wan wouldn't be able to tell that there wasn't a wound there. 

Vader's heavy footsteps began to walk away and I waited and waited and waited for Obi-Wan to walk out. I planned what I would say as my last words to him. Then it hit me. What if these are my last words to him, ever. 

With my escape last time, there was something in the back of my head telling me I'd escape this time too but what if I truly didn't? Vader would raise the precautions this time. 

The rumble of rock and the shaking of the ground made me flinch a little until I realize it had to be Obi-Wan. I was turned over on my side, facing away from the dent in the ground. I waited for a few seconds until I heard footsteps run over to me.

"Lore, Lore," He said desperately as he shook me. His arms scooped under me and braced my neck and back. I let my eyes open barely just as Vader had said. "We'll get you help, Lore, please hold on."

I shook my head, trying to keep in character as much as I could. "You know I'm not going to make it."

"Florence, don't talk like that," He scolded me the way I had to him on the ship. 

I brought a fake weak hand up to his cheek. He leaned into it, trying to savor the touch. "Remember, my dear Obi-Wan. I have loved you always."

He desperately shook his head. "No, no please don't just leave. Not like this." Tears gushed out of his eyes. I could feel his heart-wrenching pain as his hand grasped mine. 

I started to let my eyes close again and let my body go limp. I open my lips and let out one final shaking breath before I held my lungs shut, refusing to breathe. "Florence." Seriousness rushed through him. "Florence, please-" His cries were unanswered as I lay there silently, unbreathing. 

His cries became louder as he coughed out tears. He laid me down on the ground, still holding onto my hand. "I will come back for you." He kissed the top of my head and a tear of his dropped onto my cheek, rolling down as if it were my own.

He refused to let go of my hand as he stood up. I felt the ring from my finger slide off. Obi-Wan remembered our deal. Even as he walked away, he held onto my hand until the very tips of our fingers drifted apart. I let my arm drop weakly to the ground as he walked away.

The further and further he walked, the more and more I was beginning to feel like that was our last goodbye.