Don't Be Late This Time

I closed the door quietly after Obi-Wan walked through the door of my loft. It was still early in the day, not even noon, so I'm sure some of my neighbors are still asleep. 

Obi-Wan walks around my clean but cluttered house. Objects hung from any place they could hang and every table was filled. Neatly filled, but still filled. Much different than how my room at the Temple looked. 

"Stay here," I said while I pulled a jacket over my work clothes. "I'll be back in no more than fifteen minutes."

"I'll go with-"

"No for fuck's sake. Stay here," I groaned. "Think of this as my mission, ok? If you want to get to your precious Kamino then stay here. And don't break anything, please." Before he could argue, I walked out of the door.

If we were going to get that ship, I first needed to let him know that I was coming. Catoro. I never thought I would be back at the doors of this place and yet here I was. 

My fist banged as hard as it could on the heavy metal door. A little side door opened and a protocol droid stepped out. 

"Ahh, Miss Likely, how can Catoro serve you?" 

"I-" Before I can finish my sentence, the large metal doors slowly open. The ugliest Grindalid walked out. In other words, Catoro walked out. He wore a red robe with gold beads decorating all the way down. Always one for appearances. 

He opens his arms but I backed up letting him know that he was not going to hug me. He was built like a giant worm, literally. His cousin was about as infamous as he was. Proxima. She was about as bad as he was. Probably even worse if I'm being honest. 

Catoro chuckles. "Florence, I thought I'd never see you again." I shrugged. Me too. "What can I get for you."

"I just need a ship. One rider. For one, maybe two, days."

"It starts at ten tonight, Florence. Ends at two in the morning. Don't be late this time." I nod my head and watch as he walks back into the club. I could hear the slow dark music from inside. I know full well there's no one in there right now but it's all about appearances. 

I took a deep breath as I turned and walked back to my house, hoping to god Obi-Wan hadn't broken anything. 

The streets were still busy. Aliens and humans alike. Chatter buzzed from every shop. Most stores on this side of town were little huts with open doors. 

Finally, I got to my loft's building. It was built right above one of the clothing shops. All the buildings on this street were made out of rusted metal or brick. I climbed the stairs to get up to my hall before reaching my door. 

It was dead silent inside, almost too quiet. I opened the door and found Obi-Wan sitting on the couch. I closed my door.

"Well?"

"It's what I expected. I can get a ship but I can't get it until morning."

His eyebrows furrowed skeptically. "That's really it?"

I shook my head and shrugged off my coat, hanging it on the rack close to the door. "I'll have to attend a party. It'll only be four hours."

"A party? None of this makes sense."

"I'm fully aware. But would you rather spend all your credits on a ship or go to a party for only four hours?"

He looked at me and nodded in a 'that's fair' kind of way. "I can go as I said."

"Well, as I said, you were never one for parties. I've been to a couple of these, it'll be fine."

He stood up and walked over to where I was, leaning on a wall. "It's been ten years. You aren't the only person who's changed."

I scoffed. "Fine. But you can't go in that." I eyed him up and down, pointing to the Jedi robes. "Catoro isn't too fond of Jedi. Plus, it's a lot more formal than a normal party or club." His eyes squinted. "And I'm sure you intended on a quick trip so you didn't bring any clothes. It'll be easier if you sta-"

"I'm not going to stay back. I brought credits. I'll go find something." He grabs his robe from the back of the couch. "What time is this thing?"

"We have to be there at ten." He nodded and opened the door.

"I'm going to find something to wear."

I sighed. "You Jedi are so entitled."

"No, we're persistent. You are the only way that I'm getting to Kamino. So, excuse me that I'm not letting anything happen to you. For my sake, not yours."

The door closes and his footsteps disappear down the hall.