Happy Landings

Anakin and I had taken turns carrying Obi-Wan on our backs as we ran through the ship. The order was attacking the ship we were on and it started to nosedive for a moment. The ship tilted, making all of us lose balance. 

There was a time when all four of us were dangling in midair. Obi-Wan was on Anakin's back at the time and of course, he decided to become conscious again. He panicked and his hold on Anakin loosened, making him start to slip. 

I reached down and grabbed his hand right before he could fall. It was incredibly hard to hold on to a single wire with one hand and Obi-Wan's hand with the other but I wasn't going to let go of either. 

"What is that?" Obi-Wan exclaims. 

"Uh, oops," Anakin responds, pulling out the comlink. "R2. R2, shut down the elevator." No response. The elevator keeps screeching towards us. 

"Too late, jump." Obi-Wan yanks me down with him, not letting go of my right hand. With his left, he pulls out a grappling hook which is what Anakin does as well. They fling it over a bar and gain momentum before slinging us into a room that looked very similar to the room we rescued the Chancellor in. 

We all slid to the ground. My head hits the ground and pain shoots up my skull. Obi-Wan helps me stand up. 

"Let's see if we can find something in the hangar bay that's still flyable," Obi-Wan says loudly to everyone. Then his voice drops as he notices the grimace on my face. "You ok?"

"My head. I should be fine, though," I respond and he nods, turning to the group again.

We follow his lead out of the room and down the hall to get to the hangar bay. I have no idea where I am but Anakin and Obi-Wan seem like they've studied that map for ages even though they only look at it for a second when R2 pulled it up. 

Obi-Wan stops in his tracks, putting an arm out so I run into that instead of the ray shields that are forming all around us. The pearly white glow traps us from all corners. 

"Ray shields," Anakin says annoyed.

"Wait a minute. How did this happen? We're smarter than this," Obi-Wan shouts.

Anakin shrugs. "Apparently not." We all stand in a tight circle. I'm across from the Chancellor. The way he scans everything as if everything can help him in some way shape or form made my skin crawl. Anakin and Obi-Wan continue to talk about the plan but I kept my eye on Palpatine. 

Something about him was... off. I started noticing it when he invited us for dinner that one night. But, then again, all politicians are off their rocker. Except for Padme.

A high-pitched squeal interrupts my thoughts as the familiar blue and white droid practically blurs through the door, slamming into the wall. 

"See, no problem," Anakin says sarcastically to Obi-Wan. Three different kinds of droids appear, circling all of us. 

"Do you have a plan B?" Even though we're probably about to be killed, I laugh at the two of them. 

The ray shields are released but that doesn't necessarily give us a benefit. Trying to fight the droids would be worse so we just accept 'defeat' and let them take us wherever they're going to take us. 

One droid held my hands behind my back and pushed me around. The other three weren't doing much better.

After a few uncomfortable minutes, we're brought into the control room of the ship where a Kaleesh Cyborg stood with a cloak wrapping around his body. 

"Ah, yes. The negotiator," The droid spoke, addressing Obi-Wan. I guess he'd made some kind of reputation for himself. The droid's voice was almost sickly, sounding like the people in the underside of Coruscant. "General Kenobi. We've been waiting for you."

A droid pushed by me, excusing himself, which for some reason made me laugh at the generosity. 

"That wasn't much of a rescue," The droid continues, his voice scratchy. The droid starts coughing and I scrunch my nose in disgust. "Anakin Skywalker. I was expecting someone with your reputation to be a little... older." He gets up in Anakin's face but he stands still.

"General Grievous. You're shorter than I expected." So that was who General Grievous was. I'd heard his name mentioned by Obi-Wan and the other masters but no one gave me details of missions or anything. I don't blame them. 

"Jedi Scum," Grievous spat before turning to me. "And this must be Windu's failed Padawan," I swear if one more person calls me that. "What business do you have being here besides slowing the rest of them down?" He coughs. I don't respond. "Your lightsabers will make a fine addition to my collection," The droid moves on from me. 

"Not this time," Obi-Wan says from over my shoulder. "And this time, you won't escape."

As if Obi-Wan and Anakin have rehearsed this time and time again, they create a distraction. Upon call, R2 just starts shooting everything that he can.

Obi-Wan calls his saber to him, catching it, and getting him, me, and Anakin out of the bonds. Anakin and I get out lightsabers next. We start to slice through the droids. Most of them were easy but some of them were bigger and stronger and seem to be better programmed for war.

I've taken care of most of the droids where I was and I noticed Obi-Wan was having trouble with one on the bottom floor by the windows. 

I run to go help him. I easily slice the droid in half since I'd snuck up behind it. It falls to pieces at my feet. Obi-Wan thanks me, brushing hair out of his face. 

Now, all we needed to take care of was Grievous. He hops down to where we were, getting the weapons from the droid I'd just killed. 

"You lose, General Kenobi," He coughs. He takes the weapon and chucks it at the windows. My eyes widen as glass explodes in tiny shards, sucking everything in the room out. 

Obi-Wan screams my name and holds a hand out to me. I grab his hands with both of mine quickly. I cling myself to his arm, terrified of the vacuum just at my feet. 

It feels like hours when the protocol steel doors shut around the missing windows, stopping the vacuum. I let go of Obi-Wan's arm and we go to attack the last few droids in the room. Most of them have started to evacuate the room, making me feel somewhat powerful. They were scared of me. 

Once they were all gone, we had the control room to ourselves. 

A beeping comes from a monitor. Anakin goes to check on it and his face falls. "All escape pods have been launched."

"Grievous," Obi-Wan says accusingly. That's when he turns to me, realization shadowing his face. "Can you fly a cruiser like this?"

The four of us walk to the seats at the front of the ship where the flying controls are. "You mean, do I know how to land what's left of this thing?"

"Well?" He pushes as we all take our seats.

I scan the buttons and levers, trying to see what I recognize. I press a few, getting us ready to go. "Well, under the circumstances, I'd say the ability to pilot this thing is irrelevant."

"Strap yourselves in," Anakin says in response preparing for another happy landing.