Kumbaya

Chapter 1-Little Soul

A little boy with deep, emerald green eyes and jet black hair suddenly showed up in front of her. He looked a little scared, of what, Mai wasn't sure. "Are you okay?" Mai asked, kneeling to his level.

The boy gasped and began to run away. Was he afraid of Mai? Why? "Hey! Wait!"

"Mai!"

August Day 1 2:30 P.M.

Mai was instantly snapped awake by her boss's call. She snapped her head off of her desk hoping to only be given an order for tea and not some demoralizing speech about her sleeping habits. "I do not pay you to sleep at your desk, don't you have work to do?" Okay, so maybe it was a demoralizing speech.

"I already finished all the paperwork from our last case, organized the bills and reorganized the tea cupboard. I have no work to do."

"Then come to me, I'll give you more work." His icy indifference seemed to cling in the air as he dropped a folder onto Mai's desk. "Call the others, tell them to meet up here by four o'clock. Have Yasuhara do research on the property, if he needs to, tell him to come tomorrow and give him the address."

"A new case, huh? All right, I'll get on it," Mai sighed, as her boss left back to his office.

"Mai..."

Mai looked up from her phone before she dialed. "Yes?"

"When you're done making the calls, tea..."

Mai sweat dropped as her boss's office door closed. "Jerk." she mumbled as she called Monk.

***

"So, where are we going anyway?" Everyone was gathered outside in the parking lot in front of the SPR office.

"Mai, didn't you explain to her where the case is at?" Mai shook her head with a sigh.

"I knew she'd refuse to come if I told her."

"Very smart move, though had you told her we'd never have to deal with this Old Hag on th-" Monk's words were cut off with a purse to the head.

"So where are we going? Abandoned jail? Hospital? Another high school? Or maybe a-"

"It's a summer camp..." Mai's voice trailed off as they eagerly awaited Ayako's response.

"A summer camp? Why didn't you just say so?" Everyone's jaw-dropped. "We're staying in a nearby hotel, right?"

Everyone started laughing as the two workaholics themselves suddenly materialized. "If you are all done goofing off, I believe we have a case to get to," his indifferently annoyed voice pierce the air, automatically making the air ten degrees colder.

You know, I can definitely believe Naru was causing poltergeists as a kid. He literally just changed the temperature! Mai thought as she climbed into the van between her boss and co-assistant.

She had no clue how long it would take to get to the camp, or what she was going to do to pass the time. Naru wouldn't let her play with the radio, and neither of them would talk. What to do? What to do?

***

The little boy she had a dream of earlier appeared again. Well, at least now she knew how she was going to pass the time. There was some horror on his face, Mai knelt down to his level. "What's wrong? Are you okay?" she asked, offering her hand to the boy.

"Don't come!" the boy shouted.

"What?" Mai's head cocked to the side.

"You'll be next!"