Insanity

Chapter 4-Proof

"Gene..." The girl couldn't help herself; she ran and gave the smiling boy a hug. "I've missed you so much! We all have!"

"I know, I'm sorry we couldn't talk last time," Gene replied hugging his friend back.

"I wasn't expecting you to go undercover as Noll," she replied. She knew she was only hugging his spirit, but he looked real. Smelled real. Sounded real. Felt real. But he wasn't real.

"I don't think Mai would be able to handle that knowledge." He chuckled the same way he had when they were just children.

"What are you doing here, Gene?" she asked reluctantly.

"Come with me." He took her hand and led her toward a lit doorway.

***

"Looks like you can see spirits as clearly as I can," the old woman smiled at Mai's perplexed face. "Can you hear them, too? I can only hear her when she tells me who will die next."

"I didn't mean to..." the ghostly girl's voice rang, but it seemed only Mai could hear her.

"Didn't mean to do what?" she asked, the young priest only getting more and more confused.

"What?" The old woman pressed a finger to her lips, silencing the young man,

"She's making contact, if you're too loud you might scare the child away."

Mai stood up and slowly walked over to the frightened spirit. "You need to tell me what's wrong. What didn't you mean to do?"

The ghost shook her head and hugged herself. "It's not my fault but it is!"

"I can help you, but you have to tell me what's going on," Mai told her, beginning to get annoyed.

"Leave me alone!" She disappeared and a shriek sounded in the room. Loud enough that even John could hear it.

"What on earth?" the priest's perplexed face said it all.

"It's like I'm dealing with Dai all over again," Mai sighed.

"That's right, Dai wouldn't tell you what was going on at the camp," John remembered.

"The poor girl looked terrified," Yuina commented.

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" A scream echoed through the halls catching the group off guard. The two investigators shot up and ran out the door.

"Sorry Yuina!" Mai called back in her wake.

The two raced down the hallway, to the stairs where Monk, Shouta, and Yasuhara already were. "What happened!" they exclaimed together upon reaching them.

"We're trying to figure that out ourselves," Yasuhara replied.

"Ruriko, what happened?" Shouta asked the nurse who was struggling to sit up on the ground.

"I-I don't know," she stuttered. Monk helped her sit up. "I-I-I was just going to give Mr. Fukuoka his medication, th-then I-I-I felt s-someone push me down the stairs!"

"Where's the medication you gave him?" Yasuhara asked as Monk searched the stairwell.

"Found it!" Monk called, picking up the tray and the medical equipment. "Good thing the needles flew the other way."

"You're not cut are you?" Shouta asked as the nurse surveyed her arms.

She shook her head. Her arms shaking. "I-I don't think so."

"Come on," the young man offered, helping her stand up. "I'll let Aunt Chiyoko know that you fell and drive you home, she'll understand."

The nurse nodded as she stood up and leaned against the young man, shaking as he walked her down the hall.