Remains

Chapter 1- Better

November, Day Before Case 7:30 A.M.

Mai never did go back to sleep after she had awoken that morning. She had just finished her small breakfast and grabbed her books as she remembered what happened earlier that morning.

"This is Hozumi."

"Yes, my name is Mai Taniyama and I'm sorry for calling so late...er...early...but I was told you might be able to help me," Mai stuttered into the phone as she took a breath. "Please, I don't know where else to go."

"Okay, Miss Taniyama," he replied, still sounding a little sleepy, but at the same time concerned. "Whatever is bothering you must be pretty urgent to force you to call me at this hour. Who gave you this number anyway?"

"You're grandfather, Dr. Enomoto. I was a patient of his a little while ago-"

"Say no more, Miss Taniyama," he interrupted. "My grandfather may be a goofy old man, but he wouldn't just hand out my number to just anybody. Tell you what, a couple of my appointments were cancelled for later today, would it at all be possible for you to come by around three this afternoon?"

"Yes, of course!" she answered, as he told her his address and she wrote it down.

"Try to get a little rest in, Miss Taniyama, and I will see you later today."

"Thank you so much!" With that they both hung up the phone.

***

She had the address in her pocket and locked her door. She knew that she would be able to get out of class early, she had an appointment and with her agreement with the school she would be allowed to leave class early. Everything was set. "Mai-chan! Thank goodness you're still here!" exclaimed the relieved voice of a neighbor.

Okay, maybe everything wasn't set. "Mrs. Hiramoto, is everything all right?" Mai asked as the young mother motioned the girl over to her door.

"Yes and no," she replied. "No one's hurt or anything, but my nanny cancelled last minute. Would you be able to watch the kids for a few hours?"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Hiramoto, but I have an appointment at three-"

"I already called my husband about the nanny thing, he said if we could get someone to watch the kids he would be able to get back around noon. I know it's a lot to ask of you so short notice, but please, I'm running out of options."

Mai let out a breath. How could she say no? "Let me give my school a call."

"Thank you so much, Mai-chan! You're a lifesaver!" the woman cheered. "I can't thank you enough!"

"It's no trouble," Mai replied, half-lying. "But would it at all be possible to use your computer? I would like the double-check where my appointment is supposed to be."

"Of course! The password is in the upper drawer," she agreed as they both ran into their respectable apartments.

***

Sure enough, noon came around and Mrs. Hiramoto's husband returned and paid Mai for her trouble. Mai tried not to accept so much, but he insisted since she had to call out of school. Soon, Mai found herself on the porch of a second story office, much like where she worked. The porch was adorned with Charlie Brown Christmas tree-like bushes that were dying due to the change of weather. It was a few minutes past three and Mai was about to get cold feet, if a gust of wind hadn't beckoned her to knock on the door.

Nerves shook her body and soul as she waited for the door to open, for a sign that this might help. A young man opened the door. He was tall and lean, probably somewhere in between Naru and Yasuhara's height, and between Lin and Monk's build. He had dark brown hair and deep cerulean eyes, similar to her employer's, but there was something to them that differed the two men. This man's eyes held a wise yet childlike presence, something that she couldn't quite explain, but they calmed her down. "Miss Taniyama, perfect timing, I was just making some tea. Come in," he greeted with a smile, gesturing her inside.