Just a Little Green

Chapter 6-Guidence

"Jin? Jin! Where are you!" Mai called into the purple darkness that surrounded her. She wandered, not quite knowing where she was going, but knowing there really was no such thing as a wrong direction in this place.

"C'mon, Jin! I need to talk to you! You never explained yourself!" She called stopping and crossing her arms. "I know you're here somewhere!"

"I suppose you've caught me," a familiar voice said from behind the teenager. She turned around to see her guide with a rather sheepish look on his face. "Although, I'm not too sure what I have to explain myself for."

Normally, Mai would have smiled at what she could now call her "friend" but she was too confused with what he had told her the last time she saw him. Her reoccurring vision was also not helpful. "I'm not going to lie, Jin, the last time you visited me, you really scared me."

"I'm sorry," Jin replied, though Mai was not done yet. No, she needed to try something before she finished this conversation.

"We need to talk, but why don't we go somewhere I used to go to clear my head," she said with a sad smile and a snap of her fingers. Somehow, it managed to work and the scene faded to a new place.

They were on a large hill, on one side was a park and on the other was a series of houses. Mai sat down crisscrossed and patted the ground next to her for her friend to join. "See that house down there, the one with the pink swing set? I used to live there with my parents when they were alive. After my dad died, Mom couldn't afford the payments so we moved. She kept the key as a good luck charm and then gave it to me shortly before she died. Whenever I had a bad day or was just fed up with the world, I would come here and remember how happy we used to be."

Jin stayed quiet as he sat down, Mai just smirked at her own memory. "The new owners took down the swingset when I was in middle school and I got so mad. I almost went down to yell at them, but Keiko and Michiru held me back. I haven't gone back here since."

"Why are you showing me this, Mai? I'm normally the on showing you things," Jin finally answered.

"Because something is different now," she said looking at her friend. "Or about to be different. Why did you show me where you liked to go when you were alive? Or make me promise to be careful. Am I about to die, Jin? Is that what you're trying to warn me about?"

Jin let out a heavy breath and leaned back, supporting himself on his hands. "I didn't go about this the right way and I'm sorry," he said. "There really is no right way to do it, but there are plenty of wrong ways."

"Wrong ways to do what?"

"You are about to face some intense challenges. Dangerous challenges. They could be life changing and I just want you to think things through before jumping into the fire."

"Is there going to be a fire?"

Jin laughed. Actually laughed, it was a pleasant sound and Mai wondered if that was what Naru would sound like if he actually let himself feel such enjoyment. Cool it, Mai, you can think about that later.

"Don't worry, I don't think a fire has anything to do with what you're about to go through, but I am warning you now so hopefully you won't have to face the worst case scenario."

"That I would die."

The guide's face became sadly grim as he nodded. "Unfortunately, yes."

"And what about the vision I keep having with Yasuhara driving? What does that mean?"

"That's something you'll understand when the right moment comes."