Secrets

Chapter 2-Lullaby

The same glowing blackness surrounded her once again. Another dream? she wondered to herself, searching for the one person who could confirm her suspicions.

But he wasn't there. It seemed like with each case Dream Naru was appearing less and less, and her visions becoming more and more vague, nothing as clear like when they were at the mansion with Urado, or cases before that. It was as though Dream Naru wanted Mai to figure things out for herself.

He wasn't coming this night. Nothing was. No visions. No images. No one telling her to get out. Nothing. She was just standing in the black background, not even a foxfire to keep her company. Then she heard it!

Two voices singing.

It sounded like a man and a little girl. What were the lyrics they were singing?

She couldn't quite make out the lyrics but the melody was sweet and would certainly get stuck in her head the following morning. However those lyrics just seemed so close and so warm, she was surprised she couldn't really hear them.

The melody just seemed so happy and carefree and she wanted to remain in that moment for as long as possible. Memories of her mother and father popping into her head as she felt safe and comfortable. Did she really have to wake up?

***

September Day 2, 8:00 A.M.

"Mai! Get up!" a certain cranky priestess ordered, shaking the girl slightly.

"Huh?" Mai woke up groggily rubbing her eyes. "What time is it?"

"About eight." The priestess continued to get herself ready for the day. "I need coffee..."

"I could go for a cup, too," Mai mumbled gathering her clothes to change into.

"John and Monk said they'd wait for us downstairs."

"Okay."

Lin and Naru had spent the night at the Gensai residence, hoping to capture any activity. By the time the four had gotten there, Jinru was up in her room studying, despite it being her day off from school and Yasuhara called stating he was nearly finished with research and would be picking Masako up shortly. For the time being, the rest of the group was going through evidence and possible ideas, as Nishi ran off to run a few errands.

"What do you guys think is going on here?" Monk asked the girls and John while Naru and Lin were over by the monitors.

"I don't know what to think," Mai responded, placing her head in her hands. "Nishi-san told us about a vicious spirit that has physically harmed her, but I feel perfectly safe here!"

"Yes, this house isn't like other places we've investigated," John added with a shrug. "And judging by those two I don't think we caught anything yet either."

"The only thing we really should be wary of, is her claim of Jinru levitating. But judging by them I don't think they found anything like tha-" Ayako began as Lin's eye's widened.

"Naru, take a look at this," Lin said out of nowhere. Naru leaned over and the rest of his team migrated over.

On the screen was showing Jinru's room, according to the time stamp it was about three in the morning. Not much seemed to happen, she just rolled over. "What are we looking-" Ayako demanded, but was shushed by Monk and John.

A mist made its way into the room, finding Jinru within moments. It surrounded the sleeping girl, wrapping around her shoulders and where her knees were under the blanket. Slowly, her body began to rise, as if someone were holding her. Mai found herself swaying side to side unaware of the rest of the team's eyes on her.