Hoax

Chapter 1-Control

"Such a naïve child," the being in front of her snickered as he crossed his legs, sitting on his stone throne. "You won't get rid of me that easily. You won't ever get rid of me."

She sat on her own throne, once again unable to move. This was the first time he appeared to her since the case and she was almost certain that the Reiki had gotten rid of her new friend. Looks like the Reiki didn't help at all.

"I won't leave until you're shattered. Your broken pieces aren't small enough."

"But I've got plenty of glue," Mai replied bravely. "I won't shatter that easily. You need to find a new playmate."

"But I thought you created me?" he flirted, licking his lips. "If you created me, you can destroy me, but then why haven't you?" He tilted his head to the side and laughed. "You know you'll never be rid of me. Just like how you know you'll never get better."

"You're wrong," Mai said. "I'm not hanging on by a thread anymore. And you know it."

"But there is one thread I still have you hanging by. A thread that can never be repaired." Suddenly, Mai was looking at a screen again and seeing her body tied together by thread and the faces of friends who symbolized the bonds on the thread. It was just like the dream on the case. She could see the bonds with Michiru and Keiko were repaired or were for the most part, but there was one bond that was barely holding up.

Naru's bond was hanging on by a thread so thin it was barely visible. She knew it wasn't going to last much longer. Did that mean she had to repair it? "Why are you telling me which bonds I have to fix? That doesn't help you," Mai asked with knitted brows. "By fixing the bonds, I get stronger and you have to work harder to break me."

"You're already broken, child, fixing this bond won't help you," he said, leaning his onto his hand that was propped up but his elbow on the arm of the throne. "No, if you fix that bond, you're only in for more pain and betrayal. Think about it, he almost raped you. Almost finished what that other boy started. He tried to break you-"

"It wasn't him!" Mai shouted.

"But it was." The being stood up and approached her. "He knew exactly what he was doing. He allowed a spirit to possess him and use his body. He knew every word he spoke in your ear. He could have stopped himself, you know what he's capable of. He wanted to hurt you. You're not important to him. You're nothing but an idiot."

"You're wrong." Mai's voice was firm, but she knew she was wavering.

"Am I? Was Shouta?" He brushed a lock of hair behind her ear, like he had done several times before. "Think about it. Was he ever wrong? You tried to create a surrogate family out of complete strangers. You still know virtually nothing about them. They only helped you out of pity and you know it."

"Stop it." Her voice was a mere whimper as she held back her tears.

"That Naru boy works you to the point of exhaustion and never has appreciated you. You really wanted to consider him your family? Perhaps you deserved what you got from that Shouta boy. That's all you're worth, it seems. All you'll ever be is someone's punching bag."

A tear fell and the demon leaned down and licked it with his burning tongue.

"Just accept me and accept your eternal suffering. It'll be delicious."

He licked his lips and Mai's tears fell faster.

***

March Saturday, 3:01 A.M.