Nightmare

Chapter 8-Nightmare

February Day 4, 4:04 P.M.

"Hey, the gang's back together!" Yasuhara said as he, Ayako, and John walked into Base. He saw the whiteboard. "Ooh, looks like Mai's been busy."

"How did you know that Mai wrote that?" Ayako raised a brow.

"Because I've seen Lin' s handwriting, and this is not it."

"And what about Naru's?" Monk asked.

Yasuhara shrugged. "It's possible that it's his, but it looks like Mai's."

Ignoring the commentary, John read the timeline. "All of the attacks and suicides are within a week of each other?"

"So it appears," Lin said from his laptop, he had gone back to examining audio.

"That would mean the suicides were caused by the spirit directly, as opposed to just from the first incident," Ayako said, knitting her brows. "That would also mean we may have some time before it attacks again, right?"

"It would fit the pattern, but from what we gathered last night," Masako said, with her sleeve to her mouth, "I believe he could be drawing energy from us faster in order to attack sooner."

"That's just great," Monk said, rolling his eyes. "The longer we stay here, the more powerful Nakajima is going to get. And there's no way we will solve this case before the storm, meaning we'll have to stay here for the weekend."

"Well, once we exorcise Nakajima, it won't be too bad staying here until the roads are plowed out," Kiko said with a small smile.

"You're going to exorcise him?"

"Sorry, when you guys exorcise him."

"I'm kidding," Monk laughed an walked to the monitors. A frown appeared on his face. "What the hell does he think he's doing?"

"Who?" Yasuhara asked as Lin stood up and walked to the wall of monitors.

"Naru. Look at him, what is he thinking?"

Lin cursed and ran out the door. Monk looked at him confused until he looked at the monitor again. And Naru wasn't making out with Mai against the door anymore. The door was closing as he watched.

"Goddamn it!"

***

Mai heard the click of the lock and knew she was done for when she was thrown onto the undressed mattress. Struggle as she may, there was no escape as Naru climbed on top of her. No! This can't be happening! Her mind shrieked, yet her voice could not.

He began kissing her neck, snickering as he did so. She squirmed beneath him, but he didn't seem to mind. In fact it seemed to entertain him. Tears welled in her eyes as he began to work on the buttons of her flannel shirt. Mai, your luck's run out.

"Admit it, you want this."

Mai managed a whimper in response.

The thing wearing Naru's body frowned at the sight of her camisole. He made a tsk sound and looked into her eyes. "By the time I'm through with you, you'll be sewing your clothes to your skin." Another wicked grin flashed across his face and Mai lost her composure.

Her tears fell. She tried to thrash but he was too strong. She wasn't going to get out of this one. She wasn't going to escape the same fate twice. She shouldn't have come.

"Just finishing what he started, and what this one didn't have the balls to do." He began to unbutton her jeans and Mai finally stopped fighting. She had accepted her fate.