Healing

Chapter 6-Date Night Part 1

"It's date night, guys! Isn't that exciting?" Madoka squealed in delight as every member of SPR's face dropped. There was no way she could be serious, right?

"Madoka, we are here to work-" Naru argued, not at all amused.

"My case, my lead, Kazuya," Madoka retorted with an almost evil glint in her eye. "Besides, we will be working. Working to get the spirits here to notice us. I already spoke with Juro and since he wanted an update on our investigation, but we haven't really learned much, he agreed that we needed to lure the activity to us. What better way to do it than to really become live bait." She opened her notebook, where it appeared she had written down exactly what would be happening during these "dates." "So, basic PDA, you know, hand holding, maybe a peck on the cheek whatever you can handle without making it look forced."

Mai almost laughed out loud. There was no way The Kazuya Shibuya was going to willingly hold her hand or kiss her cheek, even if he was forced to do it. Even though she secretly wished that maybe, just maybe, one day that would happen. She knew it wasn't likely.

"Monk and Ayako are going to go on the trails after lunch, you are going to meet up with Mr. Shizumu at the barn and he'll get you set up-"

"I am not going anywhere near that barn!" Ayako shrieked, about to storm off.

"The trails you're going on are for the horses," Madoka argued. "And Juro went out of his way to make sure that the time slot after lunch will be open. If you don't go, people will get suspicious-"

"Then let them think whatever the hell they want!" She crossed her arms and snapped her head away. "I don't even have shoes for that."

"That's a lie, you brought a pair of sneakers," Monk blurted, earning a scowl.

"This is not optional, unless you'd rather join Lin and myself in the mixed bath," Madoka threatened. Ayako shut her mouth and Monk shook his head. "I didn't think so. Yasuhara and Kiko are going to go hiking by the lake."

Mai glanced warily at the two, but Kiko seemed to just shrug and sigh. "Fine," she said before she started rubbing her temple. Yasuhara just nodded and rubbed his neck. So much for the perfect couple, Mai thought with a mental shake of her head.

"Naru and Mai are going to go tour the gardens," Madoka continued, not waiting for a comment from either one of the investigators. "After your 'dates' I expect everyone to get dressed up, each couple has a reservation at the in-house restaurant. Juro said to not worry about the tab, he'll take care of it." She turned to Naru. "The team's yours until lunchtime, what would you like us to do?"

If he was grateful to finally have some control over the situation, he didn't show it. "Lin, Monk, Matsuzaki, and I will conduct the E.V.P. session in room 432, the rest of you will do a temperature sweep. We'll compare the readings with the one's gathered over the last few days and try to find a pattern. By then, if we don't have anything to go on, I suppose we must proceed with Madoka's plans."

I still can't believe he's taking this, Mai thought shaking her head. She let out a quiet sigh. I didn't realize the idea of a date with me would be such a dreadful experience. Her heart sank a little at the thought. It might have been a childish thing, but she was starting to look forward to spending more time with him.

***

March Day 4, 1:12 P.M.

Mai wasn't really sure what to expect on her "date" with Naru. After the temperature sweep, which she was joined by Kiko and found out that Yasuhara did, in fact, sleep on the floor that night, lunch came and went. Leaving her to tour the garden with her boss, who seemed less than entertained with their activity.