Healing

Chapter 8-Broken Together

March Day 4, 10:39 P.M.

Kiko was sitting at the desk in their hotel room getting herself ready for bed. The rest of dinner went off without a hitch, although things seemed to get a little awkward once they ran out of things to talk about. She was removing her makeup when she heard her roommate exit the bathroom. "Hey, Kiko?" he asked, buttoning up his nightshirt.

"What's up?" she replied, wiping off the last of her mascara. You see, Kiko had put him on the spot at dinner and now it was time for Yasuhara to finally get her to confront a topic that she seemed to avoid like the plague. It was time for them to close one chapter of their lives for good, but they needed to write the last few sentences before they could.

"It's just," he began, fixing his glasses. "It's been nearly two years since you left Ryoukuryou and yet you haven't spoken more than a quick explanation to Mai and Monk about the place being hostile because you have psychic abilities." He saw her stiffen, but recover and throw away the wipe she was using for her makeup. She put on her glasses and picked up the brush and started brushing her hair.

"Well, it's not exactly a lie, look what happened to Sakauchi," she said, working the brush through her hair. "And there's not much else to say."

"And you up and left without a goodbye to anyone. Never told anyone you were thinking of switching schools. Summer vacation came and when we came back, you never did," he said sitting on the edge of the bed. "We reconnected back in July, but we still haven't uttered a word about it."

She felt bad, to be honest, she knew she was being selfish to try and lock away that memory and never speak of it again. Just allow it to collect dust in her mind, but she knew with Osamu Yasuhara, there was no way that would happen. "Yasu, I just," she started, putting the brush down. "I wanted-I couldn't...it was...it was...everything just-I"

"It was hard, everything was jumbled and you needed to get away," he finished for her. "I get it, I always did." But there was one thing that was on his mind since the last case that he went on. Even though he left early.

"Then why are you-"

"Because I saw Renjiro." He had never seen her head snap so fast, nor had he seen such terror in her eyes.

"When?" she blurted, then looked away. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You already knew."

"No I didn't, what are you talking about?" She gave him a confused glance.

"You refused to come on the last case," he said, she opened her mouth to protest, but he stopped her. "You lied and said you weren't able to go, but when he was there and tried chatting with me like old buddies, I knew exactly why you didn't want to go."

She looked down at her hands and smirked. "So what did he say?"

"Well, I know what he did to you..." he finally revealed, she just looked at him confused again.

"Yeah, you found me on the floor of the classroom when I didn't show up for the club," she said shaking her head. "It's not like I could keep that a secret from you-"

"I mean after that." Her face paled.

"He...he told you?" Betrayal painted her face.

"Not in so many words," he confessed, and smirked. "He saw us having lunch one day and assumed we were dating and referred to you as his old girlfriend among other things." She still looked confused. "I had always suspected that he..." He couldn't bring himself to say it. "The way he talked about you only confirmed it. And then everything made sense."