To Receive and to Deceive

Chapter 4-Codes

December Day 3, 12:51 P.M.

"You never answered me yesterday!" Ayako exclaimed, as she drove not only Mai to the elementary school, but Monk as well. Wasn't Yasuhara supposed to pick her up?

"Answered you about what?" she replied, somehow she had gained the shotgun seat, the monk was sitting in the back seat right behind her. She still has no idea what argument the adults must have gotten into before she got in.

"Who your boyfriend is!" Ayako answered, earning a surprised shout from behind her.

"Mai has a boyfriend? When the hell did that happen? Gah!" Monk exclaimed, as Ayako took a turn a little too sharply. "What the hell!"

"You need to watch your language!"

"You need to drive better!" Monk retorted.

"Don't distract me!" Ayako screamed back at him, then turned to Mai. "So, who is he?"

"When did this happen!" Monk shouted from the back seat.

"Apparently they've been dating for three months!" Ayako lied.

"What!"

"Yasuhara was exaggerating," Mai rolled her eyes. "It's only been one month."

"One month! And we're only finding out now!" Monk was seriously displeased.

"Shut up, old man!" Ayako scolded. "We only have until we get to the school, before she'll shut down and won't speak a word of this!"

"Quit being so bossy!" Monk shouted back.

"I am not bossy!"

"Are too!"

"Are not!"

"Yuh-huh!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"And your time is up!" Mai announced, once Ayako had parked in the parking lot of the school. "I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait until our next episode of 'Just Who Am I Dating?' for another chance to find out, just who I am dating." She hopped out of the car before the adults could stop her.

"Damn it, Mai!" Ayako shouted, earning a flick in the shoulder from the monk sitting behind her. "Ow! What the hell?" Another flick. "Stop it!"

"We're at an elementary school, cool it on the language," he scolded getting out of the car. "Besides, you've hit me much harder than that little flick-"

"Jerk!"

***

"Mai will review the evidence from yesterday's EVP session," Naru stated, once they had gathered in Base. "Miss Matsuzaki and Miss Hara will do another walk through of the property, focus on the areas where you feel the most activity. John and Monk will take temperature readings and we'll compare them with yesterday's data. Yasuhara, I want you and Lin to talk with the principal and other teachers. See if there were any other incidents that they might have forgotten about during the original interviews, there might be a clue as to who the other spirits here might be."

"Sounds good," everyone agreed and split off to do their part.

"You didn't analyze the session after I left last night?" Mai asked in surprise as she sat down by the monitors.

"You started the session, you need to finish it," he said handing her the headphones.

"If you say so," she shrugged and started the tape.

"In the library, Mai."

"Ayako."

"Monk."