Kumbaya

Chapter 2-Flashlight

August Day 1 6:20 P.M.

The Mess Hall was full of kids ranging from ages seven to twelve, along with several young men and women who were presumably the other counselors, around the ages of sixteen to twenty-six. Tamotsu stood on a small stage at one end as his wife rang a small bell, catching the children's attention. Tamotsu cleared his throat as the children quieted down. "Good evening, children. How are all of you doing today?" he greeted with a smile.

The children all returned his greeting positively as Monk leaned over to Mai. "If this isn't even 'most' of the children they had earlier in the season, I wonder how they managed with only a few counselors," Monk whispered, Mai nodded in agreement.

"That's great, it seems you are all enjoying yourselves," the older man replied, turning to his newest staff members. "We happen to have a few counselors who are visiting for the next few days, please, make them feel welcome."

The group stepped forward as Tamotsu said each of their names. "We have Houshou Takigawa, Mai Taniyama, Ayako Matsuzaki, John Brown, Kazuya Shibuya, and a special treat, for those of you who have seen her show we have Masako Hara!"

The children stared in awe at their new guests, unsure if they really had seen the real thing. "I'm sure you're all wondering why Miss Hara is here, she offered to help her friend, Lin Kojo, with an article he's writing about haunted camps. If anyone has any good scary stories about this camp I'm sure they will listen."

The more Mai thought about it, the more it made sense. Naru was obviously going to want to question some of the children of their experiences, but the children were to remain as clueless as possible. This was the perfect compromise, maybe Masako was good for something.

"And as tradition when we get a new staff member there will be a bonfire tonight, hope to see you all there!" Tamotsu finished, leaving the stage and showing the group to the table with the other counselors.

"So, no fake names I take it?" Miyuko greeted them, scooting over motioning Mai to sit next to her.

"Nope." Mai sat down. "I never thought we would really need them."

"After supper, we need to set up before the bonfire. I believe that as counselors we are to attend," Naru stated coldly.

"So you're the one in charge," a young man, probably around twenty-one, had said. He smirked before continuing. "At your age, impressive."

***

"Mai, I need you to position a camera outside one of the boys' cabin door," Naru ordered, as Mai picked up the equipment. "When you're done with that, I need tea."

Mai sighed, mumbling something about her workaholic, tea-obsessed, employer, while she marched out of Base.

It was eerily quiet by the cabin. The kids were either still at the Mess Hall or were gathering in front of the bonfire. With the sun setting, the only thing Mai wanted to do, was set up the camera and get away from there as fast as he could. "Miss Mai?"

The voice made her jump. She turned around to find two boys behind her. "Huh? Oh!" she responded, breathing a sigh of relief. "Sorry, you two just startled me. Can I help you?"

"Why are you putting that camera outside our door?" one of them asked.

Mai finished putting the camera in place as she tried to come up with an excuse. "Well, you see the reporter that came with Hara Masako asked me to help set up cameras around the camp so that if they caught anything paranormal they could put it on their website," she lied, straightening herself.