Kumbaya

Chapter 5-Visions

Once again, Mai stood before the little boy with black hair and green eyes. Dai. "I told you, you had to leave!" he said with a frown on his face.

This was definitely alarming. "Dai, I told you before, you need to tell me why I have to leave otherwise I can't," Mai said flatly, kneeling to his level.

"I can't tell you!" he cried out, he was obviously very upset on the matter. Mai could see tears in his eyes.

"Dai, I know you're not the one behind the disappearing children, though many want to believe that is the case. But in order to clear you're name, I need you to tell me why I must leave."

"If I tell you then you'll end up like the others!" This time tears came streaming down the young boy's face.

"Shh, calm down," Mai cooed, stroking the boy's hair. Realization suddenly occurring to her. "You've been trying to warn me without telling me. If you tell me the exacts then I will surly go missing. Is that right?"

Dai nodded, wiping away tears.

"What about Makoto? Or Nori? Are they in danger?" Mai pressed, eyes serious.

"I never spoke with Nori-kun, he should be okay, and Makoto-chan..."

"What did you tell Makoto?" Fear began to build in the pit of her stomach.

"I didn't have the chance to tell her anything! She wouldn't shut up! Then you appeared!"

Mai began to laugh, causing the boy's eyebrow to raise. "Sorry, so Makoto shouldn't be in danger, right? She knows nothing about you?"

"Only what I look like and for now she's calling me Midori. Can you tell her to stop that?" Dai pouted a little. After all, like any ten year old boy, he didn't like being called a girl's name.

But before Mai could respond, Dai faded away, Naru appearing in his place. Mai felt sudden relief. "Naru, what is going on around here? Nothing makes sense!" Mai complained, standing back up.

"Be careful."

"You've told me that time and time again, but why? Why do I need to be careful?" Mai inquired, folding her arms.

"You've had a tendency to attract danger in the past, why is now any different?" Dream Naru teased.

"Hey!...Okay fine, it's true. But what is going on around here? If Dai isn't the one causing the disappearances, then what is?"

Dream Naru sighed. "I don't understand it either. However this case truly brings out that saying, 'Things aren't always what they seem.'"

"Naru, I'm so confused!"

Dream Naru just smiled. "Well, then-"

"Mai! You need to wake up right now!" Someone whispered concern, while Mai's world began to shake.

***

August Day 4, 6:17 A.M.

Mai jumped. "Who? What? Where's the fire?" Mai said groggily, looking down to see Ayako and Nami below her.

"Don't be ridiculous, Mai! There's no fire! Get dressed, there's an emergency counselor meeting," Ayako responded, quickly going to her things and dressing herself.

"Counselor meeting?" Mai scratched her head in wonder.

"Another child has gone missing," Nami answered, running a brush through her hair.