Remains

Chapter 4-Alright

November Day 2, 9:13 P.M.

It was a very good thing Lin did overhear the group in the alleyway, otherwise Naru might not have believed it. With their newfound information a plan had been hatched. Most of the equipment had been packed up, save a few chairs in the shed, seeing as Ayako wasn't well enough to be waiting out in the rain. They had moved the cars and now were lying in wait. Since it was raining again, it was only a matter of time before-

"Do you hear that?" Mai asked, earning a shush from her boss. But he nodded anyway and Mai knew for certain that she heard it. It was definitely the sound of a hammer hitting cement.

Naru looked over to where Lin was hiding. Lin gave some sort of signal, that Mai had yet to be able to interpret. "They are near your parents' graves," he whispered to his assistant. She could only nod as Lin gave a signal to Monk. They all creeped up to that area, with Monk in his robes the plan was about to come to life.

"Who dares disturb my resting place!" Monk called out in a deep demonic voice, startling the young men who were hammering the stones.

"The hell!" one screamed as the two of them jumped up.

"W-who are you?" the other stuttered.

"Look at the stone! Your fate has been sealed you worthless imbeciles! I'll teach you what happens to ingrates like you!" Monk added an evil cackle to his threat.

A shriek was sounded and Monk darted out from behind the tree and charged at the vandals who sprinted the other direction. The chase went down the hill, the vandals slipping and sliding as they tried to make it to the gate. "Shit!" one exclaimed when they saw the chain around the gates and the industrial lock sealing them inside. "What do we do!"

"Climb!" the other shouted. They made it all of one grasp when a light had been shown on them.

"Freeze! Hands in the air!" The two let go of the gate and kept their arms up. It was Officers Atsushi and Ito, weapons at the ready.

"I knew we'd get caught!" one grumbled and the other cursed.

"Well, that was easier than I thought it would be," Monk commented with a laugh. Lin ran up behind them.

"I checked out the damaged," he said, turning to Mai. "They missed your parents' graves, no harm came to them."

Mai sighed with relief. "Thank you, Lin," she replied.

"That explains why you screamed!" one of the vandals exclaimed, earning a confused look from Mai. "Had you not we wouldn't have run like that, you scared the shit out of us!"

"Shut up!" his friend scolded, as they were being handcuffed.

"I didn't scream," Mai replied, her eyebrows knotted above her eyes for a moment. "I thought it was one of you."

The vandal's eyes grew wide. "You're lying! If it wasn't you who was it!"

"Well, we are in a graveyard," Monk shrugged. "Perhaps the souls that had once been at rest here were disturbed by you. You'll be haunted in your prison cell until you rot."

"Enough of this!" Officer Itou scolded, fed up with the nonsense. "Let's get these two to the station, I knew there wasn't anything paranormal here."

The vandals were led away and Mai felt a chill run up her spine, goosebumps lifting on her arms, the hair on the back of her neck standing on end. She felt a tap on her shoulder, but the whole team was right in front of her. Who would tap on her shoulder?

Probably against her better judgment, she turned around. She saw a woman, her feet and legs transparent, but her torso almost solid. She had bobbed chestnut colored hair and beautiful blue eyes, which Mai recognized. She was around the height of John and thinly built. She wore a comforting smile and looked almost as though she were about to cry.