Shoji no Noroi

Chapter 1- Tea

September Day 1, 7:55 A.M.

September was coming to an end and Mai could already feel her room becoming colder with the change of seasons. Her blanket was nice and warm she didn't want to get up. She merely rolled over into a more comfortable position. Only to face the clock.

And scream.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" she exclaimed sprinting out of her bed, toward her dresser. "No! No, no, no, no!"

Scrambling to put on her clothes while simultaneously making sure she had everything she needed, anxiety rose in the pit of her stomach.

"Why! Why today of all days!" She frantically grabbed her things and running out the door.

***

"Mai's late, again," a certain priestess noted, leaning against a certain college student's car. "As usual." She turned to said college student. "You know, you didn't have to drive us, I could've given you a ride."

"It's fine, Ayako," he smiled. "Naru said it was probably better if I drove."

"Mai's still not here yet?" Monk asked, walking out from the office. "She's late even for her."

"Some just don't have the capability of being punctual..." Masako commented from behind her kimono sleeve.

"What'd you say? Sorry I didn't hear you," Monk replied, raising a brow.

"Nothing at all."

"Wait!" a cry came out of nowhere. The group turned their heads, confirming their suspicions.

"Who wants to bet she overslept?" Yasuhara offered with a chuckle.

"There's no bet, you know that's why she's late," the priestess scoffed as the petite brunette raced up.

"Sorry...pant...I'm...pant...late..." she panted, trying to catch her breath. "I overslept."

"Called it!" The priestess and college student high fived each other with smirks on their faces.

"Did you guys really take bets?" A sweat drop appeared on Mai's forehead.

"Don't worry about them, Girlie." Monk ruffled the girl's hair. "You should probably be worried about Naru, you know how he is when yo-"

"You're late." The cold, ruthless voice rang throughout the parking lot. The hairs on the back of Mai's neck stood up as she turned to see her not so happy employer.

"Er, sorry," she bowed, another sweat drop appearing on her forehead as she straightened up. "I overslept."

"I pay you to work and be on time, not to sleep." He turned to head toward the van where Lin was finishing loading the equipment.

"As I recall, my sleeping has solved several cases..." she grumbled, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes.

"Excuse me?"

Mai perked up with the fakest smile she had ever given. "Nothing, Naru!" she exclaimed, trying her best to look sweet and innocent.

"I'm glad I don't have to sit between them on this trip," Monk whispered to the priestess and college student beside him.

"So am I, considering the traffic is going to be brutal, I don't know how those two will manage an already five hour drive," Ayako muttered back.

"I forgot this was going to take five hours," Yasuhara said thoughtfully. "Say, Ayako, you up for driving after we reach a rest stop." A cheeky ginned plastered over his face.