Shoji no Noroi

Chapter 7- Otsune

"Kiko? What are you doing in my dream?"

The slightly taller girl just shrugged her shoulders, then her eyes widened in realization and she scratched her head sheepishly. "Heh...remember when I told you I was a psychic and that I have visions and dreams?"

"Yeah...Oh...." Mai replied as her revelation peaked.

"Well, did I also mention that my powers aren't exactly one hundred percent under control?" The shorter brunette shook her head. "Well, I have had a habit of sneaking into people's dreams...heh heh...you probably think I'm such a freak..." Kiko gave a sigh as she blushed a little.

"Have you seen my profession? I hunt ghosts for a living and have visions and dreams and other psychic abilities, I think we're both freaks." Both of them burst into laughter at the reality.

"So what happens now?" Kiko asked as they calmed down, glancing at the area around them. "You don't just stand in this place all night, do you?"

Mai sighed. "Sometimes I do, but this is usually the part when-"

"Mai," a voice called out and both girls turned to the source.

"Naru!" Mai exclaimed excitedly and rushed over to him, giving him a hug. It had been far too long since she saw him in a dream.

"But that's-" Kiko was cut off as the two continued to converse.

"It's good to see you again, Mai," the dream version of Naru replied and turned to the other girl present. "Hello, Kiko." He gave a smile that was so unlike the Kazuya Shibuya they knew.

"Hi, Naru," Kiko replied, joining the two. "I guess you're going to guide us."

"Yes, that's right," he replied as the darkness morphed into an old scene.

A little girl was playing with a handmade doll in the garden outside the hotel. Not much really looked different except that the building looked smaller. Mai recalled that there might've been additions made to the sides of the property. This must've been before they were made.

The little girl was laughing, Mai recognized her voice. "Want to play a game? L thinks it will be fun..."

Shaking her head of the memory, Mai concentrated on the scene before her. "You're so pretty Mimi-chan!" the girl complimented the doll as she danced around with it.

There was a rustling in the bushes near her. Curious she made her way over. "Hello?" she called, almost abandoning her doll, she clung only onto its arm. "Who's there?"

"Otsune-chan," an odd voice called out. It was most definitely a female voice but it was as though many women were speaking at once. High pitched voices merged with lower pitched ones creating an eerie feeling as it continued in a sing song voice. "Otsune-chan!"

"Who are you?" The little girl didn't seem afraid of the dark mist hidden within the bushes that talked to her. She gazed at the mist with curiosity; completely fooled into thinking it was harmless.

"I am called by many names, but you can call me 'L,'" the mist replied surrounding the girl in a sort of hug.

"Eru?" the girl repeated, giggling when the mist tickled her.

"That's right." The mist began to fade as it said a few last words. "I am now your friend, but you must not tell anyone about me. I'm your guardian." The girl nodded frantically.