mesmerizing

a week later akaashi found himself sitting back at the same table. he was hoping that he might run into y/n again and get her number this time.

what he wasn't expecting was to see her nearly fall over while trying to get her shoe on as she walked into the shop with her phone in her hand. her right foot was covered by a blue sock with black stripes and the left one was covered by a pink sock with elephants on them.

"i'm not stupid! i know what time it is and i'll meet you in twenty minutes!" she shouted as quietly as loud as she could without disrupting the others in the shop.

she walked straight past akaashi without giving him one glance and he felt his hopes deflate. maybe she had forgotten about meeting him a week ago. it was only a ten minute conversation anyway, nothing that memorable.

his hopes flew back up when she took a few steps back and stood in front of him, a smile now gracing her lips instead of the annoyed look from a few seconds ago.

"yeah, i'll see you later and stop rushing me." she hung up before she could hear an answer. "akaashi."

"y/n."

"wait, give me two minutes. i need coffee." she looked at the table where only his laptop was sitting. "i'll get you one too."

"please stop buying me coffee. i'm going to start feeling bad." akaashi tried to reach for his wallet but y/n quickly walked away once again. he just took money out of his wallet and waited for her to come back so he could give it to her.

"keep your money." she handed him the cup of coffee and dodged when he tried to put the money in her bag. "it's fine."

"don't you have somewhere to be?" akaashi asked when she sat down. "from your phone call it seemed like."

"eager to get rid of me so soon?" she teased and nudged his foot with hers under the table. "don't think i didn't notice the look of disappointment when i walked back to you before you could smile."

"i thought you didn't recognize me." akaashi mumbled the last few words and raised the coffee to his lips to avoid repeating them.

"and you think i wouldn't recognize your eyes? they are literally the prettiest i've ever seen." y/n admitted causing akaashi to hide his face even more in his coffee cup.

"thank you." he said and lowered his coffee back down. "who were you shouting at?" he moved the conversation away from him.

"my roommate, i haven't been home in a few days and he's all snappy at me because he misses me so much and his girlfriend clearly likes me better and doesn't want to come over unless i'm there."

"you haven't been home?"

"went to my parents to retrieve the stick figures for you. i don't actually have them with me so that's for another day." akaashi only focused on one part of her words.

"another day?"

"yes, another day. you still need to show me those stories and you can see my beautiful drawings." she stood up, taking her coffee cup with her. "i should go before he calls and shouts at me again. any more questions?"

akaashi knew he should've asked for her number but when he opened his mouth those words were stuck in his throat. "why did you only have one shoe on when you walked in here?"

"oh. my sister dropped me off and i was adjusting my shoes in the car, but didn't have enough time so i had to yank it on. and i can't find the other sock to the ones i'm wearing."

"interesting." akaashi started typing things down on his blank document while y/n stood up. "i'll see you around?"

"you'll see me around." akaashi watched as she walked away from him. the way she walked, the way she kept the door open for other customers, and the way she blended into a crowd of people who were standing outside with ease.