flirting

akaashi walked through the park and watched the people who were there. couples taking walks together or sitting on benches and talking, seniors finding ducks near the pond or feeding other birds, kids running around without a care in the world.

and at a spot in the middle of the part where there was a volleyball net set up were three familiar faces. he walked up to them, but lingered behind when he heard y/n speaking.

she was sitting on the grass and tugging on her shoelaces while her head was turned towards konoha. akaashi walked close enough to hear her words, but not close enough that they heard him.

"it's just so hard to stay mad at him. every time i look at him- i don't even have to look in his eyes- every bit of anger inside of me just dissolves. like i'm fire and he's water or something."

akaashi paused and processed the words. of course she hadn't forgiven him yet. he packed up and left for eight months without telling her after making her fall in love with him.

to be honest, he didn't even know how she just casually invited him here. he was expecting to be pushed away and yelled at some more, but that hasn't happened.

"hey." he stopped behind y/n and konoha and they looked up at him. konoha stood up and offered him a hug.

"hey, look at you!" konoha pulled him into a one armed hug and grinned at his friend. "it's felt like forever since i last saw you."

"eight months." y/n spoke up and stood up next to the two of them. akaashi looked over at her and gave her a smile.

her eyes dropped down to his lips but she didn't return the smile. the mention of how much time they spent apart always seem to do that to her.

"akaashi!" bokuto shouted from the volleyball court where he was with the three kids who showed up. he led the kids over to y/n and konoha while he ran up and gave akaashi a bear hug. "never leave again. stay here forever, we missed you too much."

"don't worry." akaashi hugged his best friend back. "i've been apartment shopping." his eyes flew over to y/n for her reaction, but she was staring down at the kids.

"you can move in with me!" bokuto suggested without hesitation. "we can live together and you won't need to spend any money getting somewhere to live!"

"thanks, but i think i'd rather live on my own." akaashi took one look at bokuto's face before hurrying and adding more words. "it's not that i don't want to live with you, it's just i'm used to being on my own and living by myself."

"it's okay, the offer will always be there for you." bokuto turned away from akaashi and turned his attention back to the kids who were ready to play volleyball. konoha followed after him, so that left y/n and akaashi to themselves.

"hi." akaashi nudged his foot against hers.

"hi." she glanced over at him before looking back to the other two.

"i was going to stop to get us coffee, but i was already running late, so this is me asking you out for coffee after this."

"very smooth." y/n had a small smile on her lips. "but sure, i can use a cup of coffee." akaashi's smile grew at her acceptance. "now come on, we have kids to teach volleyball to."

konoha and bokuto both helped one kid while y/n and akaashi took care of another one. he wanted to be a setter which was perfect because akaashi was one.

"don't keep your palms flat like that." akaashi instructed and fixed the little boy's hands so they were right. y/n stood in front of them, ready to throw the volleyball to the boy.