letters

~ seven months later ~

akaashi's book had been out for a month now.

y/n was invited to four showcases and managed to get heavy attention on her artwork.

they both got what they wanted, almost.

while akaashi was being filled with praise on his books and more recognition that ever. but every night alone in his new apartment was a reminder of what he left behind.

y/n still worked with her parents while balancing that out with her painting and showcases. there was also heavy improvement in her art, but there was something missing from her usual artwork.

the precise shade of blue she always used.

it hadn't been used in seven months. the same amount of time that passed since she last saw those colors in person.

"wait, you don't need to put those out." kenji cut in when y/n was about to open a box of new books. "i'll put those away." she looked up at him and raised her eyebrow.

the box already had a flap open and she glanced down at the books inside. she recognized the cover immediately because it was the cover that she drew.

"oh."

the cover looked exactly the same as when she last saw it, but at the same time it looked completely different. it looked official.

in the middle of the cover the title of the book and akaashi's name was posted. the colors were more vibrant than the color pencils and pens that she used months ago and the lines were bolder.

and under akaashi's name was her name.

illustrations by l/n y/n.

she picked one of the books up and turned it around to look at the back. kenji picked up the box with the rest of the books and went to put them in the storage room.

although she didn't draw the back of the book, it matched the front to a certain degree. it wasn't her designing but it was good enough.

she couldn't help but wonder if akaashi designed it himself or got someone else to do it. maybe he met a new girl in a new coffee shop in his new city.

part of her hoped did for his own happiness but the other part of her selfishly hoped that he hadn't. maybe he still thought of her as much as she thought of him.

"you want that?" kenji asked when he returned to the desk. he had stuck a few copies of akaashi's book into the the shelves throughout the store.

"no- yes- no- i don't know." she answered and put the book facedown on the display table. her thumb was brushing through the pages as she stared at the sheets of paper flying by.

"take a break." kenji instructed. "go out to the balcony, go to your apartment, go upstairs, just take a break." y/n nodded and walked up the stairs, only bringing the book with her.

she sat down at the table the furthest away from the railing and away from her dad's gaze. her hands were simply stuck on her sides and her eyes stared at the book sitting on the table.