birthday party

akaashi parked his car near the house and turned off the engine. he reached over to the passenger seat to where the gift was sitting. he put his present into a little blue bag with tissue paper on top of it to cover it up.

to be honest, he was nervous. he wasn't sure if that was because he was meeting y/n's family again or because of the fear that she wouldn't like his gift. or maybe it was a mixture of both.

probably a mixture of both.

he stayed in his car with the gift bag in his lap for the longest time until there was a tap on his window that surprised him.

it was kiyo with a little boy who akaashi remembered as june's son, akio, by his side.

akio was holding a soccer ball in his hands and peeked into the car, his eyes barely reaching the window.

akaashi opened the door and was careful not to hit the boy. "planning on sitting out here all night?" kiyo asked and pulled akio closer to him.

"no, just getting ready." akaashi answered and tried to look away from akio who was staring at him nonstop.

"are you gonna come inside? lana should be here with y/n soon." kiyo turned to walk into the house and akio spun the ball around in his hands before following kiyo.

"lana?"

"yeah, y/n was babysitting her today and bringing her back here in time for her birthday party." kiyo answered and opened the front door.

akaashi walked inside and looked around the house. emika and kenji were the first people he saw. the two of them were in the living room and he had an arm around her waist and she was showing him something from her phone.

kaede and her girlfriend emi were in the kitchen and getting the cake decorated with the final preparations.

next was june, her husband, and akio who ran back over to his parents. daiki was leaning against the wall, looking a little lost without his daughter to take care of.

then he went over to annoy emika and kenji.

akaashi let out a sigh of relief when he saw konoha sitting on the stairs with a familiar cat on his lap. "hey." akaashi walked up the stairs and sat down in front of konoha.

"hey." akaashi reached out for the cat and let rin jump down onto his lap. "missed me?" he asked and stroked the top of rin's head. "is bokuto coming?"

"yeah, said he was gonna be a little late, but is speeding as safely as he can to get here." konoha answered and leaned back on the stair behind him. "what'd you get her?" he peeked into the bag,  but couldn't see past the tissue paper.

"something she asked for once." akaashi decided to go put the bag with the other gifts that were sitting on a table in the living room.

"which is..?" konoha was getting nosy.

"something you'll see when she opens it." akaashi held rin in one hand close to his chest while he had the bag in the other.

"akaashi!" emika noticed him first. "glad you could make it." kenji threw a strawberry into his mouth, already knowing that he would be there.

"of course. wouldn't have missed it." akaashi knew his words sounded familiar and he knew that he said it to their daughter once before he stood her up.

he still regret that til this day.

"she'll be happy to see you." emika smiled then looked over akaashi's shoulder and sent a smile to a guy behind him.

konoha stayed behind akaashi and his eyes flit back to kenji every few seconds. kenji was simply eating strawberries while keeping an arm around his wife.