three weeks

akaashi opened the door to the coffee shop and ran his hand through his hair that was now covered in snow.

he paused for a second when he saw the familiar person sitting at the table they always sat at before he walked over. even though they've been getting better at running into each other at the shop, it didn't stop his heart from skipping a beat when he saw her.

y/n's head and arms were laid down out on the table while her sketchbook was open. her pen was in her hand and she was repeatedly hitting her head with it.

while walking by akaashi grabbed the pen out of her hold and she moved her head to look at him. he didn't stop though, he continued walking to the counter and ordered two hot chocolates.

"is there something wrong?" he questioned when he came badk and saw her back in her old position with her arms sprawled out on the surface and forehead resting on the table.

he put down the two cups and went to sit next to her but she shot up and pushed him away. "you can't sit next to me, that's just awkward. we'll have to talk while facing each other with our bodies half turned and that's just wrong."

"delight seeing you again too." he bought her hand up to his lips before moving and sitting where she wanted him to.

"hi." she reached for the cup of hot chocolate while akaashi glanced down at her sketchbook. the pages was scattered with random sketches of people who had came into the coffee shop before him. "i got bored and started drawing random people."

"it's nice. how long have you been here?" he looked away from the drawings and up to y/n who was picking a loose thread of her sweater.

"thirty minutes? might have been longer. dad practically kicked me out of the bookstore since i've been there since five in the morning."

"do i want to know why you were up at five?"

"i love going there. you remember the paint splatters on the stairs?" akaashi nodded. "that's where i started painting. it was when we first got the bookstore and we cleaning it up. the whole family was there and uncle kiyo handed me a paintbrush and told me to have fun."

"i started painting little flowers and butterflies and they're still there, just not as visible. mom and dad found it and i thought they would be mad, but they weren't. they just handed me paper and let me paint while they cleaned the place up. ever since i was a kid that's been my spot and i go back there every now and then."

"that's cute." he reached for his own cup and enjoyed the feeling of the hot chocolate after being in the cold. he kept his eyes on her and how she moved around. there was something off about her and akaashi could tell it wasn't just because she was tired.

"i should probably get back and paint something. or draw, or do something that's not little sketches." she suddenly stood up and grabbed her sketchbook.

"wait." he was surprised at her sudden leave. usually she was the one who told him that time was precious with them. "darling, you don't even have a coat- it's snowing!" akaashi rushed to the door to stop her from leaving. she was already out the door and without a second though, he followed her out.

"stop." akaashi grabbed her arm and turned her around. his hands were now holding onto her upper arms while he looked into her eyes. "what's wrong?"

y/n looked like she was on the verge of tears and akaashi pulled her into his chest. he knew she would hate going back inside the coffee shop while she was crying so he kept them outside. he opened up his coat and draped it over her body so that she was a little more concealed and warm.

"what's wrong?" akaashi tried asking again and looked down at her from where she was slumped against him. "talk to me. you can talk to me about anything and i won't judge. i hate seeing you cry like this."