𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫 - Chase

Gazing out the window as I had Jax's hand on my thigh I realized this was actually happening. We were on our way to the airport. Jax had people he was paying to get us in and on the private Jet without any fuss. If 5 years ago you would of asked me about what I would be doing now It definitely wouldn't be this.

Gran always said life is full of surprises damn that woman was never wrong. I was thinking back to the last thing gran did say to me. " your mother would trust you to make the right decision"

It didn't sit right with me that she was being brief on what this decision was that she was referring to. She had also said that my mother always thought Jax was a sweet boy. It surprised me as I didn't know Jax knew or ever met my mother. My mother was never really spoke about and I had just presumed Jax hadn't met her.

"Jax did you meet my mother?" I ask and he looks over at me frowning at my sudden question.

"Yes" he says still looking at me. Why did he never tell me?

"Oh"

"I was young. It was when my family first started business with yours. I can't really remember her though em" I wish he remembered maybe he could tell me about her.

I can't remember anything. From a very young age I know my gran raised us. But by the time we returned home my mother had already passed away. Declan remembers things about her I think but it's not like he would ever talk about her.

My father pretty much made it forbidden to speak of her. I think he lost himself when she died maybe that's why he became so heartless.

"What is it that has you thinking about your mum?" Jax asks me.

"Our lives have never been normal but I always thought that if my mother was still alive would it be different" I shrug.

Jax doesn't take his eyes off the road and I look down at his hand as his thumb strokes across my thigh in a gentle reassuring way.

"You were so young when you lost her em and it hurts a person in so many ways when they loose a parent" he tells me and I can hear the sadness in his voice.

He lost his parents when he was seven. He had time with them and lost both of them. I can't even remember my mother and I feel hurt at not knowing her now.

I can see it breaks him loosing his parents so young he hides his pain so well when he does bring his guard down it hurts me. Hurts me to see him like that.

I picture the same little boy I met when he first came to our house. The one who played football with my brother and sat at the table telling jokes while we ate dinner.

He was Just a boy.

"Em are you okay?" He asks me even though it must be hard for him to talk about dead parents. I'm so stupid to even bring it up.

"If it makes you feel any better I have a surprise for you when we get to Verona" he adds and I smile.

"A surprise?"

He nods at me and I see him smirk as his eyes go back to the road.

"You always hated surprises"

"I still do" I snap as I nudge his arm ,making him laugh.

"I remember when it was your birthday , me and declan had made your birthday cake and came into the garden where you sat on the grass with your sketch book and we had to come up with where we had been. We had said we were tidying our room and you laughed. For a eight year old you were clever." He laughs and I look over at him as he continues to tell the story even though I know exactly where its going as I was there but its cute to hear him talk about us when we were younger.

"You had asked if it was a chocolate or lemon cake and we both froze. We didn't get how you knew and when I snatched your Sketch book demanding answers you soon changed your tune."

"You had watched us through the window as we made your birthday cake which was supposed to be a surprise"

"Because I hate surprises" I add and he squeezes my thigh as he turns his head to look at me.

We both smile at each other but his face suddenly changes and his hand comes off my thigh onto the steering wheel.

"Em I need you to listen to me very carefully" he says and his voice sounds completely different to what it was a minute ago.

I nod my head frantically,panicking at what is happening.

"I need you to keep calm okay" he says as he continues driving not taking his eyes off the road.

"Jax w-what's going on" I stutter and the panic in my voice is as clear as day.

"There's three cars on us right now. Don't try to look for them they can't know we know they're here yet." He tells me and I take a deep breath trying to calm myself.

"When we get to the end of this road we have to loose them so brace yourself" he warns me.

I can feel my hands shaking in my lap and I can feel my breath getting faster as I start to panic.

"Em listen to me. We will be fine" the words echo in my head over and over until suddenly the car goes drifting to side. I look up in the rear-view mirror and see three black SUV's.

They speed up and two of the cars start to come up either side of us. "Fuck" Jax snaps as he sees them.

Bullets suddenly come flying through the back window and I scream in shock. Jax pushes me down in fear and spins the car around a tight corner.

I get back up and look back to see the cars still right behind us.

"Spread your legs" Jax shouts and I look over at him in shock.

"Now is not the time!" I shout back.

"Spread them" he laughs and I oblige.

"Happy?" I ask.

"Very" he smirks.

He grabs a knife from beside him which I didn't even know he had and cuts the car seat between my legs, to then pull out a gun stashed there. Clever.

He starts to shoot at the car that comes up at the side of us and my heart begins beating out of my chest at everything suddenly going on around me. I squeeze my eyes closed in fright as Jax spins the car once again, trying to get some distance between them. When I open my eyes Jax is handing me the gun and I look at him confused but when the car jolts forward as something crashes into the back of us he pushes the gun into my hands.

"Em I need you to shoot as soon as I turn the car" He tells me as my hands tremble.

"Jax I can't"

"Em yes you can okay" He assures me and I take a deep breath and nod.

My finger comes over the trigger and I raise the gun to the window and as soon as the car turns I'm aiming it at the driver whose in the car chasing us. I shoot several times and stop as soon as I see his car crash into the side of the road. He's dead.

I don't know when Jax took the gun from me or when he placed his hand back on my thigh. But we pulled into the airport and relief that this nightmare might be over wondered over me in a reassuring way.

Two guys ran over to the car taking out our luggage. Jax got out the car and came around to my side ,opening the door for me. He reached out his hand and I placed mine in his as we walked over to the Jet. I go to step on but suddenly stop myself.

I can't decide if this is right. If running away from all my problems will help. I will have to face them eventually. I just hoped Jax would be at my side when that day came.