the fall

"Ladies and gentlemen

"Ladies and gentlemen...you've been waiting a long time, but we're finally here. Dojos from all across the Valley have been training for a year for their shot at glory. You ready to meet them? This sensei and dojo need no introduction. He took the All Valley by storm in 1984 and '85 and quickly became one of the greatest underdogs in the history of the sport. Last year, this dojo came out of nowhere and made it to the finals. They've got some new fighters, and they're ready to show the world that they're the best around. Give it up for Miyagi-Do Karate, led by two-time All Valley champion Daniel LaRusso!" Daryl introduces them and they round out of the locker room an onto the mats.

"This next dojo took last year's title. But they're under new management. Can they reign supreme once more? And last year's runner up and All Valley champion. Robby may be wearing a new gi, and Ariana is ready to defend her title. Ariana Silver and Robby Keene and their team are ready to strike! Hailing from Reseda, defending champions and still the most badass name for a dojo, here comes Cobra Kai!" We enter the arena as  my father winks at me and we take our spots on the mats.

"And finally, this dojo is making their All Valley debut, though you'll recognize a few familiar faces. Every year, a new dojo rises up the ranks. Does this newcomer have what it takes to win it all? Please welcome Eagle Fang Karate, led by Sensei Johnny Lawrence and Miguel Diaz!" Daryl says as they come out and I look over at Xander, who takes my hand. "At the end of the day, only one of these dojos can be crowned Grand Champion. Welcome to the 51st annual All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament! It's karate time." Daryl says as my father and I walk into the hallway outside of the locker rooms.

"Okay, so, you're not in the skills portion of the tournament. You are just fighting in the girls division. You can bring this home for us, sweetheart. I can feel it in my bones. I know it's a lot of pressure, but I know they you can handle it. Just stay focused on winning and you will. I love you and I'm so proud of you." My father hugs me before we go back over to Cobra Kai.

"All right. Fall in. All your training has brought you to this moment. Remember, if you win, you don't just get a trophy. You get the glory. And you get to know forever that you are a champion. I have had students with all the talent in the world squander their moment. Do not let history repeat itself. Do not let your emotions cloud your judgment. And above all, do not let anything stand in the way of your victory." Sensei Kreese tells us as Tory squeezes my hand and I smile at her.

"You've got this." She whispers to me and I nod my head.

"Just to be clear. That's not a pep talk. That's an order. And we're all gonna follow Sensei Kreese's orders today, aren't we?" My father asks us and I smile at him.

"Yes, Sensei!" We all say to him and Xander takes my other hand.

"Aren't we?" We shout louder and he nods his head. "Let's go win this! Come on!" My father tells us and I walk over to the sidelines to be alone.