➟ 02. battle of nerves

"There's no need to flaunt your sleep-deprivation, amico

"There's no need to flaunt your sleep-deprivation, amico."

_________

ANDIE LOOKED OUT HER CAR window impatiently, clutching the steering wheel of her Ferrari Spider with one hand while she rested her temple on the other one.

She was stuck in traffic, on her way to the Ferrari Headquarters.

And she was going to be late.

After yesterday's strenuous work out session, she found herself knocked out on her bed as soon as she got home. This morning, she woke up 50 minutes late, causing her to start the day in a panic.

As soon as the light turned green, she reacted quickly as she sped off but was still reasonably within the speed limits. She wouldn't want a speeding ticket... though, it would be ironic for her to get one. She estimated her time of arrival from ten minutes to five minutes, making a few clean and safe overtakes here and there. Once she got to the Ferrari lot, she spared no time and smoothly parked her car in reverse in her specially reserved space. Andie turned off the engine and got her stuff from the passenger seat, headed out her car, locked it, and sprinted. As soon as she was able to swipe her ID at the entrance, signifying her time-in, she let out a sigh of relief.

She was able to make it just at the nick of the time.

She composed herself afterwards and patted her clothes out as she walked through the halls, exchanging smiles and greetings with the staff. She then promptly headed upstairs to the driver workstations. There, she spotted Charles already at his desktop, on his computer and taking down notes.

"Buon giorno. Slept in?" Charles nonchalantly asked with a cocked brow.

"Traffic." Andie told half a lie, "What are you doing?"

"Reviewing the specs for the new car. The tyres are gonna be a bit tricky to get a feel of." He replied.

Andie set her stuff down on her desk, "Increased downforce but top speeds would be more difficult to achieve, I know."

"Are you ready for the simulator?" He wondered, "You seem fazed."

"I'm fine. Just need to settle down..." She said as she sat on her chair and switched on her desktop.

As the two began focusing on their desk work, Andie's phone began ringing. She picked up, not even minding to see who was calling her as her eyes were stuck to her computer screen.

"Hello?"

"Mon cœur! I just read the articles about you and I just wanted to tell you that I'm so proud of you!" A woman's elated voice rung through her ears, "I'm also very glad you managed to keep up with your skincare. You looked glowing in the pictures!"

Andie laughed, feeling comfort hearing her mother's voice so early in the
morning.

"Merci beaucoup, maman." She replied in French, "How are you guys there?"